Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag >

7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag

Old 07-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Spike

Default 7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag

I'm looking to get a 7 mag, which model is better? I'm going to use it for everything from deer to elk. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag

First off whats the terrain where you live at like? if its flat and long I suggest the 7mm mag. but if your in the hills the ultra mag I would think would be better. But thats just my opinion.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:14 AM

Either would work well. I don't understand what difference hills would make???
Old 07-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you don't reload forget any of the ultramags as the factory loads are pathetically mild.Also be forwarned that barrel life is quiteshort in the 7mmultramag.Lastly,unless your shooting skills are well above average,you have access to a 500 yard range,and you are prepared to practise regularly,you will not be able to take advantage of the flatter trajectory of the 7mmultramag.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very well said SJ. I could not agree more. If it were me the 7MM Rem would get my vote hands down. I hate the 7 Mags but they are a very good caliber. If I were buying one for me, the 280 is more my cup of tea.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: James B
I hate the 7 Mags but they are a very good caliber.
Please explain. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I discovered the 7mm rem mag rather late in life after hunting with all kinds of rounds up to the .338 and quite honestly am quite fond of it so far. It has the flat trajectory for realistic hunting shots and penetrates quite nicely on moose sized game. The nicest thing is it has no more recoil than a 3006 yet shoots a little flatter. As for the Ultramag version I would listen to those who own them, it seems they are not for everybody. Also my guess is that any rifle with less than a 26" barrel would likely just make more noise and recoil than gain any speed over a rem mag.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

On paper and in the books, there is no denying that the 7 Mag shoots flat, hits pretty hard,is now popular and evryone has ammo for them but in the field I just never was impressed with anything about them except the recoil. I have owned five of them including two Rugers a Savage, a Remington and the first one was made for Wards many years ago when they first came out. I have had a couple 280's that would come so close velocity wise with less powder and quite a bit less recoil. Three 280's, two Remingtons and an NEF with a 246 inch barrel. I started out wanting to like the 243 and 7 Mag and really in the end, I was disappointed greatly by both. Maybe I expected to much, maybe its just a personel hangup. The same goes for the 300 Win Mag. In my opinion, all things considered for price, availability, versitility and performance in the field, I consider it to be probably the best choice for an all around NA big game rifle. However after owning three, I am very happy with the 308 these days. I seldom shoot beyond 300 yards and the 308, 7mm-08, 7x57, 6.5x55 and a few other in that class will get the job doe with less blast and recoil and are, to me, just a lot more fun to shoot.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

explaining the hills: IDK that much abouta ultra mag just what my friend has told me about thembut I know that a 7mm shoots flat and an ultra mag doesnt shoot as flat as a reg 7mm.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

IDK that much abouta ultra mag just what my friend has told me about thembut I know that a 7mm shoots flat and an ultra mag doesnt shoot as flat as a reg 7mm.
Apparently you don't know as much as you think you do.The 7mmultramag produces about 300fps more velocity than the 7mmremmag and as a result it also has a flatter trajectory.

Quick Reply: 7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.