HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Sound Suppressors (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/148296-sound-suppressors.html)

weiterer 07-17-2006 06:44 PM

Sound Suppressors

Are they legal? I see on some website some pistols where for sale with a sound suppressor. It was .22 so im not sure, but maybe its legal for .22
I wasnt aware you could buy one or does it depent on the state?
Anybody knows any info.

longrifle1000 07-17-2006 07:43 PM

RE: Sound Suppressors

Supressors are legal in most states. You just have to file all of the paperwork, get finger printed, and pay the $200 for the tax stamp, and wait for approval.

Paul L Mohr 07-18-2006 03:24 PM

They are legal to own in most cases if you can cleared for one and have the money. I do not know if they are legal to hunt with though, you would have to check your local game laws for that.

And whether they are legal or not will depend on your state, county and city you live in. I believe there are some states that will not even allow them.

Paul

SHoNUFF 07-19-2006 08:14 AM

any sound suppressor is ILLEGAL unles you go through the propper channels/paper work and are willing to pay the fees. If you want to know more Contact the local ATF they can send you all the info and paper work if you choose to pay for the permit($200 a year per extra peice; if you fail to pay one year you lose the right to use the product). You also have to get the local JP or Sheriff to sign off sayin its OK for you to have it AND you have to have a gun safe to store it in while not in use that is subject to inspection at any time as long as they give you a 24hour notice. If you get caught with a suppressor on your gun WITHOUT the proper paper work it is a FEDERRAL offense and you can kiss all gun ownership from that day on good by, not to mention jail time and fines. The reason i know is cause i talk to them (ATF) about getting a class 3 and decided i had no need for it after all the BS that came with the permit.

SHoNUFF 07-19-2006 08:20 AM

i would also like to take this time to inform you Texas guys of something i learned this weekend....... or was told this weekend by a State Trooper. It is only legal to have 2 MODS on your rifle (30mag/colapsable stock, stock/foregrip, 30rd mag/bayounet)for every mod after the second you have to get a permit ($200 ea) or you can be fined at the officers discression.

longrifle1000 07-19-2006 08:34 AM

ORIGINAL: SHoNUFF

i would also like to take this time to inform you Texas guys of something i learned this weekend....... or was told this weekend by a State Trooper. It is only legal to have 2 MODS on your rifle (30mag/colapsable stock, stock/foregrip, 30rd mag/bayounet)for every mod after the second you have to get a permit ($200 ea) or you can be fined at the officers discression.
You might want to do some checking. I am 99.999999% sure that is nothing more than a load of bunk.

1. This is not listed in any of the state law breakdowns I have read.
2.I have never seen a "TX legal" gun. But I see "CA legal" all of the time.
3. Fined at the officers discresion? Since when is an officer a judge?

I would suggest a call to your local BATFE office to find the truth.

Chris W. 07-19-2006 11:37 AM

Are they legal? I see on some website some pistols where for sale with a sound suppressor. It was .22 so im not sure, but maybe its legal for .22
I wasnt aware you could buy one or does it depent on the state?
Anybody knows any info.
Being a title 2 weapon, any tranfer of ownership must be approved by the BATF. Fill out the proper paper work with the BATF, get finger printed,pay your fees, be willing to submit to a indepth background check,and wait. The waiting process can take up to 6 weeks if ordered from a class 3 dealer and can take up to 4 months for individual transfers.Once you have the proper permits, then it's legal.

Private individualownership ofa silencer is legal inAL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY.

Charley 07-19-2006 12:17 PM

Well at least we know what happened to all the dope that has disappeared from the property room! That trooper has smoked it all! He is so full of it he mustslosh when he walks. First of all, an officer "can't fine you at his discretion". No judge, no judgement, no fine. Period.
Second, Texas firearms law is pretty well codified. A rifle is legal if it is at least 26 inches long, and has a 16 inch barrel. If it doesn't fall under the NFA, it is legal in Texas. If that officer arrests someone on these issues, I predict a lawsuit in the future for him and his agency.

Are you sure this was a DPS officer? Sounds more like some ignorant reserve deputy sheriff that passed his certification courses by the skin of his teeth.

SPIKEHORN11 07-19-2006 02:25 PM

Thats how NY is. We still have the Assualt weapons ban here. We can have a rifle with no more than certain features. I forget how many features it can have. But there are flash hider,folding stock,bayonet lug and all the good stuff.

SHoNUFF 07-21-2006 02:19 PM

sorry i should clarify, not FINED at officers discression TICKETED at officers discression. sorry for confusion. I dunno if he was just BS being a prick or if he was tellin the truth, all i know is he said it. But im not listen much neway =)