Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 new S&W .44 mag >

new S&W .44 mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new S&W .44 mag

Old 07-11-2006, 11:02 AM

Default new S&W .44 mag

have any of yall handled this? you gotta be crazy to shoot it. its made out of titanium, but it weighs less than a quarter of a pound....how could someone shoot it?

-Travis-
Old 07-11-2006, 03:30 PM

Default RE: new S&W .44 mag

Do you have a link to it? I could not find it on there web site. I have been looking for a lite 44 for bear counrty.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: gandilamont

Do you have a link to it? I could not find it on there web site. I have been looking for a lite 44 for bear counrty.
here, I found a picture of it, but I dnno what the model is on it or anything. But when I say light..I mean LIGHT! so light I think it'd fly outta your hands. Here it is:

Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 PM

That looks like a model 329PD. And it weighs in at 26 oz. That is over 1 1/2 pounds, not quite as low as 1/4 pound like you thought.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I Have the Taurus 44 Mag Ultralite which also weights 26 OZ. It is very shootable with 44 Special loads and I have worked up some lower pressure 44 Mag loads and with the excellent grips it has, it not bad at all. With full power loads, its not real pleasant but its light enough for hikers and hunters to carry for protection in big critter country.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:06 PM

yeah, well oobviosuly I musta ben exaggurating. But when I handled it it didnt weigh 1 1/2 pounds thats for sure. It didnt have wooden grips on it either...

-Travis-
Old 07-12-2006, 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: CtHunter8

yeah, well oobviosuly I musta ben exaggurating. But when I handled it it didnt weigh 1 1/2 pounds thats for sure. It didnt have wooden grips on it either...

-Travis-
I would have to say, that you are probably mistaken. Here are the specs, and what S&W has to say about it.

Smith & Wesson combined a Scandium alloy frame with a Titanium cylinder to build the strongest and lightest weight .44 Magnum revolver made. The result...maximum power in a small, lightweight, easy-to-carry package. Scandium alloy is used for small, medium and large frame revolvers. Smith & Wesson's lightest and strongest revolvers deliver dependable power every time.

Model: 329PD
Caliber: .44MAG/.44SP
Capacity: 6 Rounds
Barrel Length: 4"
Front Sight: HI-VIZ Front
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Grip: Wood Grips
Frame: Large
Finish: Blue / Black
Overall Length: 9 1/2"
Material: Alloy
Weight Empty: 26 oz.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&a mp;langId=-1&productId=14774&tabselected=tech&isF irearm=Y&parent_category_rn=

Not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out the facts. And the grip material would be of little difference in terms of perceived weight. BUT, that IS a light weight package for a 44. Shooting Spl's or light loads probably wouldn't be bad, But like James said, full power loads would be a handfull.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:51 AM

I got one last fall they are a hand full with heavy loads, but are great for carrying!

Old 07-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

That thing would make a great back woods carry sidearm. In a high stress situation with adrenalin flowing, felt recoil won't be an issue.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:22 AM

I would have to say, that you are probably mistaken. Here are the specs, and what S&W has to say about it.

Smith & Wesson combined a Scandium alloy frame with a Titanium cylinder to build the strongest and lightest weight .44 Magnum revolver made. The result...maximum power in a small, lightweight, easy-to-carry package. Scandium alloy is used for small, medium and large frame revolvers. Smith & Wesson's lightest and strongest revolvers deliver dependable power every time.

Model: 329PD
Caliber: .44MAG/.44SP
Capacity: 6 Rounds
Barrel Length: 4"
Front Sight: HI-VIZ Front
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Grip: Wood Grips
Frame: Large
Finish: Blue / Black
Overall Length: 9 1/2"
Material: Alloy
Weight Empty: 26 oz.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&a mp;langId=-1&productId=14774&tabselected=tech&isF irearm=Y&parent_category_rn=

Not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out the facts. And the grip material would be of little difference in terms of perceived weight. BUT, that IS a light weight package for a 44. Shooting Spl's or light loads probably wouldn't be bad, But like James said, full power loads would be a handfull.

Being a jerk? You were far from it. Like I said, I wasnt even sure of the facts, thanks for fillin me in. Ive handled it before,a nd it felt way too light to shoot, but if you use light loads I guess it'd be fine.I think Ill stick with the traditional Dirty Harry 44 magthoughThanks LongRifle

-Travis-