HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Merkel Drillings (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/146960-merkel-drillings.html)

260rem 07-05-2006 05:06 AM

Merkel Drillings

The gun that I am looking at buying is a brand new Merkel model 96K – standard drilling, with 24” barrels in 12ga SXS with 3” chambers & a 9.3X74R barrel underneath. At a weight of just 7.7lbs it should make an excellent carry around rifle/shotgun with (hopefully) excellent balance and handling at that length and weight.

My plan was to use it as a shotgun for the most part, as I was considering having my current shotgun modified by trimming the barrels down to 24” and having rifle sights fitted as well.
I had planed on using it as a slug and buckshot gun for Pigs up north and as scattergun for Rabbits and Foxes down south but a friend that borrowed it recently liked it and has made a good offer on it.

As I don’t use my 375H&H very often, I just don’t have much game down here that warrants its use. But for big game up north I think a single 9.3mm 285gr pill should work just as well under 100m as a 300gr .375, then of course having a couple of Brenneke black magic DG slugs in the top tubes should provide more then enough protection if something large decides it doesn’t like my presence.

Has anyone used slugs in one? If so what was the regulation like at 50m?
I am also uncertain as to what it would be like to use a shotgun with a scope, should I leave a scope off or would 2X magnification still have a fast enough target acquisition on in close rabbits etc.

I have little wish to rush into a decision and want to make sure that what I buy now will suit my needs for many years to come. For instance while it will be used as a shotgun for small game and pigs with occasional use on Red and Sambar deer for the next few years, I will be moving to Darwin in the future and it will see use more on Pigs, Horses, Scrub Bulls and Buffalo then as I have friends with properties reasonably close by.

early 07-05-2006 07:46 AM

RE: Merkel Drillings

i doubt if anyone on here has aMerkel Drilling. im not familiar with the caliber of that rifled barrel. but i have read about these unique combination guns by this manufacture. they are supposed to be of the highest quality.

early

Pawildman 07-05-2006 09:33 AM

Does the Merkel have claw mounts for the scope? Are the mountings integral with the rib? If so, most of these are readily detachable, and you can either remove or install a scope in a matter of a few seconds. Check it out. You may be able to carry the scope in a pocket and mount it if you need it.

DM 07-05-2006 05:24 PM

Merkel has made some fine drilling in the past, but i haven't looked at one of there drillingsin a longlong time. I own or have owned Krieghoff drillings and have used several Sauers..

There's no telling whereany drillingwill shoot with slugs unless the factory has regulated the bbls. for them, it "is" an option on a Krieghoff.

The 9.3X74R is a very good round equaling the 375 H&H factory loads at reasonable ranges. Noslerhas a 286 partition bullet available and it should be excelent for anything from dangerous bears on down.

I wouldn't buy any drilling that "didn't" have a quick attach scope, and i've had several with "claw mounts". I can say all of the claw mts.have help up well for me. For the most part, i carry my scope in my pack, and snap it on as needed. I've made some pretty long shots after doing this, and i don't worry about the scope being sighteing in at all.

"If" i was spending the money for a NEW drilling i think i'd be pretty picky and make sure it would do exactly what i wanted. That means "if" it's important to you that it shoots slugs well, make sure it's regulated. Make sure you get the scope and mount you want NOW! Make sure the stock dimensions are right for you!!! How about "insert" bbls??? Now's the time to have them fitted if you want them!!

Here's a pict. of my Krieghoff drilling that's my most used hunting gun that i own!! I had the rimfire"insert" bbl. in it when i took the pict..

Drilling Man

early 07-05-2006 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: DM

Merkel has made some fine drilling in the past, but i haven't looked at one of there drillingsin a longlong time. I own or have owned Krieghoff drillings and have used several Sauers..

There's no telling whereany drillingwill shoot with slugs unless the factory has regulated the bbls. for them, it "is" an option on a Krieghoff.

The 9.3X74R is a very good round equaling the 375 H&H factory loads at reasonable ranges. Noslerhas a 286 partition bullet available and it should be excelent for anything from dangerous bears on down.

I wouldn't buy any drilling that "didn't" have a quick attach scope, and i've had several with "claw mounts". I can say all of the claw mts.have help up well for me. For the most part, i carry my scope in my pack, and snap it on as needed. I've made some pretty long shots after doing this, and i don't worry about the scope being sighteing in at all.

"If" i was spending the money for a NEW drilling i think i'd be pretty picky and make sure it would do exactly what i wanted. That means "if" it's important to you that it shoots slugs well, make sure it's regulated. Make sure you get the scope and mount you want NOW! Make sure the stock dimensions are right for you!!! How about "insert" bbls??? Now's the time to have them fitted if you want them!!

Here's a pict. of my Krieghoff drilling that's my most used hunting gun that i own!! I had the rimfire"insert" bbl. in it when i took the pict..

Drilling Man

outstanding post, and very educational.
thanks for the pic !!very nice piece.

early

260rem 07-07-2006 04:20 AM

After looking a little more into it I am not completely happy with the 9.3X74R as a cartridge, it isn’t nearly as versatile a round as my current 375H&H is and I don’t want to handicap myself by trying to cover too much with the one gun.

I was originally after a new shotgun for hunting Pigs and other medium game with Buckshot and solid ball rounds, much like those used to hunt Boars in Italy.
With that in mind I have started looking at either a Beretta silver pigeon slug gun or a Sabatti SABA slug gun as they are more made to order for my purposes.

The other option that I would look at is a more modular system that would enable me to use it as a matched pair switch barrel Shotgun and double Rifle.

260rem 07-07-2006 04:20 AM

After looking a little more into it I am not completely happy with the 9.3X74R as a cartridge, it isn’t nearly as versatile a round as my current 375H&H is and I don’t want to handicap myself by trying to cover too much with the one gun.

I was originally after a new shotgun for hunting Pigs and other medium game with Buckshot and solid ball rounds, much like those used to hunt Boars in Italy.
With that in mind I have started looking at either a Beretta silver pigeon slug gun or a Sabatti SABA slug gun as they are more made to order for my purposes.

The other option that I would look at is a more modular system that would enable me to use it as a matched pair switch barrel Shotgun and double Rifle.

DM 07-07-2006 03:33 PM

After looking a little more into it I am not completely happy with the 9.3X74R as a cartridge, it isn’t nearly as versatile a round as my current 375H&H is
I'm not sure what you mean by "as versatile" ??

When i use to mfg 9.3x74R ammo, i loaded thousands of rounds of 9.3's.I had customers that flattened a lot of big game with it. I myself own a double rifle and combi rifle set in9.3x74R, and it's a great round!! Like i said before, at reasonable ranges it will do anything the H&H will do on big game....

It may not be what "you" want, but it is a great round that's proven itself in game fields all over the world...

Drilling Man

260rem 07-08-2006 01:02 AM

I have been told that the 9.3X74R is slightly a different diameter then other 9.3 rounds (kind of like a 303brit compared to a 308) and that getting projectiles and brass down will be difficult.
But for my desired use as a shotgun for shooting ball rounds and shot for 90% of the time and as a big game gun for the rest of the time there are better options for me at the moment. Later on when I have bought my own place I will be able to expand my collection more, I think a 12ga over 7X57 drilling might just find its way into my grubby little hands then.
But my present 375H&H is a top outfit for both close range and long range shooting and a 12ga ball gun is something that I have wanted for years, I have found a couple that really take my fancy and would be exactly what I have been after as opposed to something that may or may not work out for my purposes.
For now I also have access to a fellow who will sell me guns and equipment at below wholesale prices in exchange for pig hunting trips (supposedly) so I might be able to get a switch barrel set-up in 12ga SXS with a matched set of barrels in a .458 round so I will see how that turns out for now, the mate who told me about him only knows him through his brother and I have learnt from past experiences that these things can slide both ways.

DM 07-08-2006 07:42 AM

The 9.3x74R usesthe samecommon .366" bullet like the other 9.3's use.... It's available from several bullet makers today.

The 74R brass is made by several companys,but i've always liked the RWS brand best... This is not a high pressure round, so the brass last a long long time, at least RWS brand does...

Factory loaded ammo is also available from RWS and a few others...

I hope this helps some,

Drilling Man