HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Barrel fitting in stock question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/14671-barrel-fitting-stock-question.html)

bloodtrail1 11-02-2002 10:22 AM

Barrel fitting in stock question

Ok this may be a dum question, but I just re-finnished the stock on a older Browning .22 T-Bolt and the barrel dosent quite "snug up" in the stock now when all is tightened down. Now....is this whats called bedding??? Can I use some sort of REAL thin sheet metal shim stock to lay in the "bed" and then drop the barrel in and get it "snug"???? Or????? What are my options? Thanks!

lonewolf5347 11-02-2002 12:00 PM

RE: Barrel fitting in stock question

THE QUESTION SEEMS SOME WHAT A TWO PART QUESTION BEDDING IS WHEN THE BARREL-ACTION IS IS GLASS BEDED IN THE STOCK EXPOY IS USED WITH A RELEASE AGENT ON METAL PARTS (ACTION ONLY)FULL FREE FLOATED BARREL IS WHEN NO WOOD IS TOUCHING THE BARREL A TRICK IS USED TAKE A ONE DOLLAR BILL AND SLIP IT ON THE BARREL AND SEE IF YOU CAN RUN IT DOWN THE BAREL ALL THE WAY TO THE FRONT OF THE ACTION.

Deleted User 11-02-2002 12:59 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

bloodtrail1 11-02-2002 02:42 PM

DG: Hey the re-finnishing of the stock turned out great! Thanks for all the tips. All I can say about this barrel/stock fit is, it seems to be a tad "loose" at the forearm of the stock. If I grip the stock near the forearm and shake the gun I can hear the barrel "click" a little as if it was loose??? The action is tightened up. Just something I noticed!? But didnt think was there before I worked on the gun????? I dont know, probably no big deal!?

Briman 11-02-2002 05:40 PM

Did you tighten your trigger guard screws evenly? Its possible to to overtighten one and cause binding which doesn't allow the other screw to be tighted properly.

A trick you could try is to take thick paper such as business cards and lay one just in front of the receiver and one at the tang to tighten things up a bit and bring the barrel slightly off the stock.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?

bloodtrail1 11-02-2002 06:50 PM

Briman: Thanks for the reply, the screws I rechecked and they seemed to be tightened evenly with not one binding, I will try to use a busines card as a "shim" I believe that will work as it is just loose just a tiny bit and the barrel moves just a whisker! I will let you know how it works.....

bloodtrail1 11-03-2002 11:09 AM

Well I think I have determined that the barrel is suppose to be a free floating barrel and that when I "shake" the gun the barrel moves just a tad and taps against the stock! So sorry for my stupidity here! I just bought the gun and just wasnt familar with it I guess! I was compareing it to my ruger 10-22 or marlin .22 and those both have barrels that "touch" the stock and fit tight. This older Browning T-Bolt you can slip a dollar in between the stock and barrel and run it up and down the barrel. So...Its fine! Thanks for your help! It was my mistake for asking a stupid question to begin with!!!