HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   A question we have all been asked... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/145698-question-we-have-all-been-asked.html)

Doug S 06-21-2006 02:48 AM

A question we have all been asked...

How many guns do you have???

At one time or another, I'll wager we have all been asked this question; How do you answere it..?

For me it never seems tocome from guys I shoot/hunt with, but I do get it in social settings and usually from people who are not reallyshooters. They generally seem to be interested is just the number of guns and it seems like they will make some sort of judgement about me based on the number I provide..almost like if I said I had 3 or four I'd be an OK guy and if I said I had 50 I'd be considered a nut...

It happened today at the office, 2 or 3 of us were talking about going shooting and one of the guys, Pete, asked me how many handguns I owned. Now, I consider him a friend but there were other people around and I just told him that was a question I didn't want to answere. He pressed the question a little asking things like, "less that 30, less than 20 & etc", he was genuinely interested but he didn't seem to get thatI didn't feel comfortable in that setting to answere...So, I made a wise crack and asked him how his wife was in bed, he's a good guy and I think realized I was just trying to make a point that even amongst friends there are some things we don't like or needto talk about...

Does this kind of gunquestion make any of you uncomfortable.., if so then why?

Doug

boysda 06-21-2006 03:35 AM

RE: A question we have all been asked...

answer i've been giving lately is "why...how many do you think you'll want to borrow if we get hit with a Katrina?"

chiefks 06-21-2006 04:04 AM

The number of guns I have is limited to 4. There's a22,243, 12 guage, and a 50 caliber smoke pole.Just enough to allow me to hunt anycritter around home that I want to. I don't have near enough guns yet. I don't think a person can have to many guns. If nothing else they are a investment and a joy to shoot. I don't have any problem telling anyone I have 4 guns. But if I have quite a few guns I am not sure I would tell. Thats kinda like some one get'n asked how much money do you have??? Really none of thier business. But on the other hand, if they are a good friend.... what difference does it make if they know how many guns you have?

biscuit jake 06-21-2006 04:28 AM

I haven't been asked, but some topics, depending on your employer, are best left uncovered. Anti-gunners will ask about your ownership and nothing you can do or say will change their mind. It will take an external threat from a perp or some awful event to bring them around.

Mike Hill 06-21-2006 05:13 AM

Ya know I find most Anti's are golfers (Thats why I can't stand the game of the Kennedys) but I turn my answere back on them. When they ask me why do I have or need that many guns I tell them "You could play golf with one club but you don't just like your clubs each of my guns have a different job. This usually shuts them up.

Charley 06-21-2006 05:40 AM

If it is someone I don't know well, I lie. The answer is "three or four". Those that know me are usually rolling on the ground laughing at this point.

Right now, without counting, I don't KNOW exactly how many I have!

derekt28 06-21-2006 06:33 AM

I’d usually lie and tell the person I’ve got one rifle, and one pistol. The anti-gunners around Madison don’t need to know exactly how many I have. I know where they are and how many I really have. I do let them know where I bought the pistol, which can’t be bought in the city per a 1986 ordinance banning sales of handguns to fight crime.

oldelkhunter 06-21-2006 07:02 AM

Question best left unanswered...

c j 06-21-2006 07:10 AM

The only person I'm really worried about knowing how many guns I have is my wife. Seriously. If she knows the exact number then it's a lot harder to add to it quietly.

If someone asks, though, I have no problem telling them. I only have about a dozen, but it'll keep growing here and there.

I don't think there are hardly any anti-hunters or anti-gun people around here. If there are, they must be smart enough to keep their mouths shut because that wouldn't exactly be a popular mindset around here.

DM 06-21-2006 09:54 AM

I think the last time someone asked me that, i said "probable a couple more than i need, but they areMY hobby just like YOU have a hobby". I then change the subject to what ever their hobby is... "If" i was pushed, i'd turn it up a notch or two and say, "none of your business".

I have an aunt who thinks only the police and military should have guns. I remember many years ago whenmany of the blacks were raiseing he!! in the city where she lives. Her husband called my dad to see if he had a 22 rifle he could buy!!!

Don't you just HATE how it's only "ok" if THEY are doing it????

Drilling Man