Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 A question we have all been asked... >

A question we have all been asked...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A question we have all been asked...

Old 06-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A question we have all been asked...

I just say, "More than some people, less than some people".
Old 06-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

My answer... "Why? You got one for sale?"
Old 06-22-2006, 12:59 AM

I just hang it out and answer when I am asked. I am not shy about it and usually get some looks. You see, I am a musician and have very long hair. I look like a hippy! So people are usually a bit surprised when they find out. The biggest question I get is "Why do you need to have all those guns? I always answer "Because I want them! I should have the right to own them until I break the law with them, in which case, my rights to own guns is forfeit".
One of the things people say is "But you don't seem violent". Of course I am not. But people often confuse guns with violence. My answer to that is that Automobiles kill about twice the nuber of people than guns each year. Are thes non gun people willing to give up thier cars in the interests of saving lives? Of course not. That would inconvenience them!! But anti gunners are not worried about inconveinening gun owners by demanding that guns should be outlawed.
And in case you are wondering, I have 30 or so.
okcmco
Old 06-22-2006, 04:35 AM

Some interesting opinions, 2 main reasons I don't feel comfortable talking about the number of guns I own are that I don't want it widely known because somebody will hear and try to steal them and the other is public perception.

Someone hears you talking about all your guns and mentions it at home, their kid hears them and mentions it to some other kid at school and you end up with a broken window and torn up house. Stolen guns are worth money in the city and it's easier to move them then it is anything else they could steal..

I recall a buddy and me driving to the range for a day of fun, over the radio we heard about a guy in our area who got busted for something. The news stated that they "recovered" an arsenal of weapons from his home, don't remember the exact details but my buddy said that we had more than that justin the back of the truck. Besides the number of guns, they made a big deal about his having (approx)1200 rounds of ammo, enough to start a small war...etc. The average non shooting person probably agrees that 1200 rounds is excessive..Heck, they would think I'm the leader of a terrorist cell, a brick or two of .22's, a flat of shotguns shells and a few boxes of ammo for each cal. handgun and rifle would add up to that number if you owned just a few guns. I reload, imagine what they would say about all the powder I have around..."bomb making facility" or something like that...and Mr and Mrs John (soccar mom) Doe probably agree...

I don't like the question being asked and I can't remember anyone I shoot or hunt with asking it.

Doug
Old 06-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doug S

I reload, imagine what they would say about all the powder I have around..."bomb making facility" or something like that...and Mr and Mrs John (soccar mom) Doe probably agree...

Doug

So generalizing about soccer mom or dad in that they would agree with that statement is ok but generalizing that someone with guns and alot of ammo is wrong because its about you?
Soccer dads have guns too
J/K. I know what you mean

Old 06-22-2006, 07:16 AM
Banned

HCH[/align][/align]
Old 06-22-2006, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

DougS......I totally agree with your statement that you don't like to divulge the number of guns you own due to word of mouth getting around, and falling on the wrong ears. Guns are indeed a hot item in the black market, and the theft of them seldom results in their recovery. A good friend of mine had his guns stolen years ago, and only one was recovered and returned to him years later. It was taken from a buglar who was caught in New York. Long way from PA.
My close friends are the only ones who have an idea of how many guns I own, and I couldn't give you an exact number myself, as they are constantly coming and going around here. My wife has totally given up trying to keep track.
All I can and will tell you is that I'm very vague about it, particularly with people I don't know well, or those I consider to not be in the same interest circles as myself.
I'm sure that I, as well, would be labeled by the media as some kind of radical due to the fact that I also handload, and have stores of powder, bullets, and loaded ammo readily available. Simplt because I enjoy my pastime, why should I be treated differently than someone who has more than one set of golfclubs or fishing poles? The old adage still rings true: Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And they don't need a gun to do it, either. Good point stated previously, about the number of people killed by autos in this country. Can't talk about that now, can we, in the sense of banning them because they are involved in deaths and disfigurements, simply because they are an accepted medium, and most would be terribly inconveniencd if they had to do without?
Strange how it's alright to criticise gun owners when you own one or more "Weapons of mass destruction" themselves, namely their automobiles. At least by guns dom't guzzle gas.
I guess I've rambled on long enough here. Thanks for listening..............
Old 06-22-2006, 08:08 AM

I have 9 total mostly rifles and shotguns and I have one 40 cal handgun. I like when people think I'm a "gun nut". I always ask people who think guns should be outlawed if someone was raping your wife would you shoot them if a gun was handy or just cry and forgive them after it was over. Being PC is getting really old, I own guns, I hunt, I kill cute furry animals and I make no excuses for it.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

According to my wife, more than i need. According to me not enough. There so many, in so many calibers and configurations. Currently 12 or 13 but my father-n-law has so many he finds them buy accident. I cant count the times i have been helping him look for something. When i heard him say "Huh.... forgot i had that". Ruger MkI, old four shot derringer and a Custom 30-06 built on a Pre-64 action his dad had built in the 50's.Just to name a couple. God please let my life be that good.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have enough to arm a small third world country. Then I laugh and say enough to keep me busy shooting and then cleaning.

Quick Reply: A question we have all been asked...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.