HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   M-16 guaranteed MOA is.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/145206-m-16-guaranteed-moa.html)

#40Fan 06-15-2006 08:28 PM

M-16 guaranteed MOA is....

4 MOA or better. How crappy is that? Just got done watching GI Factory on the Military Channel and they showed the production of the M-16. When it was completed they test fired them and if it was under 4 inches at 100 yards, then it was good to go. I can't believe that their standards are that low. When they were checking runout on the barrel, .003" was acceptable.

charlie brown 06-15-2006 08:33 PM

RE: M-16 guaranteed MOA is....

#40Fan - its really not all that surprising. The M16 was designed for one specific thing - killing people. 4" at 100 yards equals about 12" at 300 yards - a full grown man is, what, 16" across the chest. Thats all the military qualifies for, unless you are a sniper, then they get the bolt actions and more accuracy is required. For what it was designed for, the M16 does just fine with 4MOA.

Later,

Marcial

biscuit jake 06-15-2006 08:38 PM

It is a disposable rifle that looks, operates and sounds alot like a little black mousetrap. All said & done you can hit a man size target out to 500m. That is what they wanted.

Otherwise, I know there are some commercial variants that group much better, and there are a few vets that swear by it for yotes.

mauser06 06-15-2006 11:33 PM

my military expirience class taught me a little bit about the military....one thing i took from it is "GI stuff is made and bought from the LOWEST bidder" PERIOD...i got to fire 10rds from their GI m16 on semi of course...i was the least bit impressed..very sloppy weapons..didnt shoot well and POI was way of from POA...and i thought they were POS compared to the mannnnnny others ive fired...my own ar15s shoot mucccch better then them and arent sloppy feeling...butttt the teachers of the class trieddddd pushing on us that they are THE best weapons in the world....period...i laughed....i know better.....feel bad for the kids that DONT know any better and believed it all.....exspecially that the 223 is the best round out there....i beg to differ sir...call me old fashioned but i think the 308 is a much better choice....just more expensive and heavier ammo/rifles....plus a litttttttle more recoil so the guys that cant shoot wont beable to shoot it as well as they could a 223...

Daniel__ 06-16-2006 01:45 AM

Does it matter when it is in full auto and spraying lead everywhere how accurate it is???You can't hold it on target on full auto anyway...When being shotat,, people not goanna worry about aiming..Just point and squeeze the trigger...

HighDesertWolf 06-16-2006 06:36 AM

wow 4 moa... my mini-14 does better then that, it shoots better then 3 moa with cheapo wolf ammo.

PAhunter86 06-16-2006 08:49 AM

I can hit a man sized target 500 yards away with an M16. They don't need to be as accurate as hunting rifle.

Plus, they are even more accurate when you mount an ACOG to one.

three o eight 06-17-2006 12:27 AM

I have several. one will do 1/2 to 1/3 moa all day long. just got a newone in .308 I am hopeing for 4" at 500 yards I will try it in the morning

Paul L Mohr 06-17-2006 06:45 AM

4 MOA is not that bad, that is even good enough to hunt with. People get really hung up on being able to shoot Minute of Angle, when the truth is most hunting rifles won't do it, and really don't need to.

And many that claim they can probably can't. They probably did it once or twice but I doubt that is their average group size. I strive for MOA with my guns, but if I can't get it I don't ditch the gun. Especially considering I use mostly slug guns and Muzzle loaders. I will except 3 inch groups at 100 yards from a bench. Then again I don't do any long distance shooting either.

And something too keep in mind is the M-16 is a military rifle that is designed to function, not unlike the AK type rifles. And it is also using cheap military ammo. These two combo's don't really lend themselves to precision shooting. I am sure the AR variants have tighter specs and are much more accurate with good ammo. Heck I bet if you took the time accurize and find the right load for a M-16 it would be more accurate. I have owned a few guns that were poor shooters until I found the right ammo for them.

Paul

#40Fan 06-17-2006 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: charlie brown

#40Fan - its really not all that surprising. The M16 was designed for one specific thing - killing people. 4" at 100 yards equals about 12" at 300 yards - a full grown man is, what, 16" across the chest.
Good point. But if you are aiming for the middle of a man's chest you only have 8" to either side.

I also understand that they use junk ammo. But you would think that they would use some quality ammo to ensure they don't pull a gun for shooting poorly when it could be the junk ammo's fault. Or, maybe that is why they allow the 4 MOA to compensate for the cheap ammo.

They were firing the guns from a secured mount, one shot at a time, too.