HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Is quality what it used to be?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/144875-quality-what-used.html)

avid hunter 06-12-2006 11:36 AM

Is quality what it used to be??

I was wondering after reading on the subject in the hunting equipment forum.
Do you think there has been an increase or decrease in gun quality and sporting goods in General.
The thread concerned On Time Feeders which I have seen drop off considerably in the past two years(and oviously I'm not the only one) . Is quality and customer service still where it used to be in the sporting goods industry and are gun companies better than other companies at keeping their products to a higher standard.

oldelkhunter 06-12-2006 11:51 AM

RE: Is quality what it used to be??

Out of all the american companies only 4 have gotten better with time and I am speaking only of Shotguns and Rifles. Ruger,Savage,Marlin and Kimber. The rest are in a decline. I won't blame it on union wages or anything like that either.In the long run most guns aren't touched for more than 1/2 hour by a combination of people when being built.Whether a worker makes 30 dollars an hour or 15 dollars an hour doesn't equate to an increase of a few hundred dollars in retail price. Place the blame right where it belongs ..CEO and theirmanagement of these corporations.

JeffS 06-13-2006 09:30 AM

I agree with with elkhunter. It seems like the ones he mentioned are almost always top quality. I own several Marlins and my newest one is built just as good as my one that is 50 years old. The wood in the stock is not as heavy but you can't get the same quality wood nowadays without paying a fortune for it. Though I have no complaints about the stocks on aqny of my guns.

RedAllison 06-13-2006 10:01 AM

Quality begins as a committment by the workers and mgmt/ownership of any company who turns out a product (or service for that matter). In todays world of Chinese imports I don't think most of the "tackle/equipment" used today is better than it used to be. Clothing in most cases today is JUNK! Most of it comes from the Phillipines or Vietnam and is total GARBAGE that might last a few seasons at best. I remember the first generation of clothing from Mossy Oak back in the late 80s that was made at their own mills in West Point, MS and it was GOOD, heavyweight stuff that would outlast the dye in the clothing. Now with all this pacific rim import crap not only does the dye come out after a couple of washings, the threads begin to unravel after only a season or two. Look what happened too Rocky Boots after they whored out too BPS, their boots are JUNK compared too what they were 10-15 years ago. Columbia and LaCrosse are fast on the same path now as well.

Gun/bow wise in most cases I think they are as good or better due to better manufacturing processes available today. CNC machining and better laminate layup technology has made it possible to build bows BETTER than ever. BUT there are some makers who also are throwing things together to meet demand from the big box stores (Wallyworld, BPS, Cabelas etc...) and that just means sloppy junk. I don't think anyone honestly believes they will be handing down their Remington Express shotguns, 710 rifles or 700 sps rifles too their grandchildren. The actions are already under way for bows, guns and boats to be built in China. Imagine what kind of crap THAT will be.

Lets not forget about Chinese imported treestands now as well. What a bunch of CHEAP, unsafe CRAP!!! I aint parkin my tail 30' up a whiteoak in something made from recycled sakicans. Lawsuits drove most of our treestand makers offshore, maybe they will be the same thing to bring them back too our shores...
RA

oldelkhunter 06-13-2006 10:04 AM

Lets not forget about Chinese imported treestands now as well. What a bunch of CHEAP, unsafe CRAP!!! I aint parkin my tail 30' up a whiteoak in something made from recycled sakicans. Lawsuits drove most of our treestand makers offshore, maybe they will be the same thing to bring them back too our shores...
Red is Summit the only company making treestands in the US now?

RedAllison 06-13-2006 10:16 AM

oeh, I aint sure anymore (there's a new treestand maker everyday, as one closes another opens) but it sure seems that way. Just makes me SICK I tell ya, and yet everyone keeps on buying them up. When I started hunting 20+ years ago a nice climber would run from $99-$200 and most of those are still around. BUT now days you can buy them for $59.99 :eek:I was raised on Loc-On anyway, I had 11-12 Lems and PS IIs and IIIs at once time. But replaced most of them with High Styles a few years ago. I wish Loc-On was still around (I believe Loggy Bayou got em on the last go around).

The BIGGEST poc I have seen? Those Remington stands. Talk about deathtraps, I would use one for a treeseat at knee level,
RA

lovethebigguns 06-13-2006 10:25 AM

WOW RED YOU 'Da Man!!

I would love to shake your hand right now.

I feel the same way you do!
Just like my good old Model 70's and Model 94 Winchesters. When I heard that Winchester was closing it's New Haven plant I bought a Model 70 and a couple Model 94's. Then I heard that there is a chance down the road someone might buy the name or whatever and produce these guns overseas. Who gives a $hit! I will use a friggin slingshot before I'd use a chinese made Model 70!

As far as the orginal post A.H. I do feel that some of the products we buy aren't as good as they use to be. And again Red is right you can hardly buy a good camo outfit anymore. Unless good to you means a new suit everyother year!

J.M.O. but I will do everything in my power, even if it costs more, to buy American made.

James B 06-13-2006 11:46 AM

There is some good equuipment out there so if one wants to pay for quality, its there to be had. There is however a lot of cheap stuff out there which may still be worth the money but stuff that you won't be passing on to your grandkids. Take knives and Optics. There is something in everyones price range. Much of it is well worth the money but is not top quality stuff. Quality always has cost more money and I don't see that its changed much.

However customer service has really dropped off IMO. It seems that new sales are more important than repeat customers. When I was growing up, a satified customer was the number one concern of most retailers. I sure don't see that anymore. There are exceptions however, Savage has been very good at repairing or replacing problem equipment for me.

oldelkhunter 06-13-2006 11:48 AM

When I was growing up, a satified customer was the number one concern of most retailers. I sure don't see that anymore.
Yep that sure is the case anymore..very few companies practice that

James B 06-13-2006 06:13 PM

Its kinda like give us your money and get the H out.;)One good emplyee can really turn things around and when I find a place that there guy or gal work, I am going back every time. Nothing makes a guy feel better than to feel that his hard earned money is appreciated. I am also darn apt to pass the word along to my friends and those peoples boss.