HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   savage rimfire? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/144276-savage-rimfire.html)

chiefks 06-05-2006 09:49 AM

savage rimfire?

I was wondering if anyone here has shot a savage Mark II-G in 22 lg or a model 93R17-GV (17 caliber)?? If so how did they shoot. I am thinking about getting one. I really like savages accu trigger. I like the looks of the ruger rimfire rifles. But man they are a lot more pround of them. More than double the cost of the savages.Same goes for Remington or Kimber. Seems like savage makes the cheaper rimfires. Just curious on how they shoot and perform.

Mark

usens 06-05-2006 11:07 AM

RE: savage rimfire?

i got the mark II in the 22 rim fire and it was dead on right out of the box

iloveto4x4innc 06-05-2006 11:46 AM

I've got the 93r17-gv and love it! Mine doesn't have the accutrigger, but it still shoots pretty good groups at 100-150yrds. At 200, they open up to 3+".

chiefks 06-05-2006 01:13 PM

What kind of scope did you put on it? If any on the 22????

Mark

hardcorehunter 06-05-2006 02:33 PM

I,ve got the 93r17 17hmr without the accutrigger and it shoots 1'' groups at 100 yds. I have the thumbhole accutrigger .17hmr on order and is suppossed to be here any day as my dealer just got an invoice from Savage for my gun. FWIW, my gun dealer has been in business for over 30 years and HAS NEVER had a Savage come back to his store having an accuracy problem. I have 6 Savages and they all shoot 1'' or better groups. Savages ARE the most accurate out of the box rifle that you can buy....BTW..all Savage rimfires have the accutrigger now so I would make sure what you are buying has the accutrigger.:D

Paul L Mohr 06-05-2006 03:06 PM

I've had both and they shoot just fine. I currently have a savage 17 HMR with the heavy barrel and no accutrigger, I did do a trigger job on it though. Like above it will shoot 1 inch or better at 100 yards with hornady ammo.

I used to have a savage youth model in .22 long rifle. It was so-so when I got it, but after a trigger job and breaking in the barrel it got pretty good. It would shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yards with the right ammo, and I even got a few 1 inch groups at 100 yards with some CCI Velocitor's or what ever they are called.

If you go to Rimfirecentral.com you will see that the rugers are sort of hit and miss in the accuracy department. They look good and feel nice, much more like a centerfire than a rimfire. However not all of them shoot that great out of the box from what I can gather. You could spend almost half the money on a savage or marlin and almost all of them shoot excellent right out of the box. Trigger jobs don't hurt though, they both have sort of nasty triggers stock. I would imagine the accutrigger version would be a great improvement. I have not had the chance to pull the trigger on one yet.

If you want to spend ruger money, look at a CZ instead they are pretty nice.

Paul