HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Revolver/Pistol Purchase? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/144184-revolver-pistol-purchase.html)

ironranger 06-03-2006 10:15 PM

Revolver/Pistol Purchase?

I'm thinking about picking up a Revolver that I would be able to use for both hunting, target shooting, and for peace of mind while in the the outdoors. I don't have much knowledge when it comes to Pistols/Revolvers and wanted some input. I was looking at some of the gun sale websites out there and also ammunitions sites to compare prices on cartridges. I've been looking at 357 mags, 44 mags, 454 casulls thus far but am open to suggestions. Any input would be greatly appreciated..

hardcorehunter 06-03-2006 10:28 PM

RE: Revolver/Pistol Purchase?

Well IMO it is hard to beat a GP-100 Ruger revolver in .357. It was my first revolver and came highly recommended and I have had mine close to 20 years and it has been a great handgun. Nice to have the option of shooting .38's out of it also.

early 06-03-2006 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Well IMO it is hard to beat a GP-100 Ruger revolver in .357. It was my first revolver and came highly recommended and I have had mine close to 20 years and it has been a great handgun. Nice to have the option of shooting .38's out of it also.
+1; i love mine.
early

HighDesertWolf 06-04-2006 03:08 AM

nope you just cant beat a ruger gp100 I have 2 of them one with a 4" barrel the other with a 6" barrel.

Hairtrigger 06-04-2006 05:44 AM

My Ruger Super Redhawk is my most accurate revolver. It is more dificult to accurately shoot 454 ammo than 45Colt. Shooting 45 Colt thru it is less expensive plus there is not as much recoil.

I believe if you were to use a 357 for deer you would really have to limit yourself to closer distances.
Some find the looks of the Super Redhawk offensive especially after loosing an informal shooting contest to it

Colorado Luckydog 06-04-2006 06:08 AM

Smith and wesson 460! You can also shoot 454 casulls and 45 s out of it. Its like getting three guns in one. It is without a doubt the most accurate revolver out there at long distance. I did alot of homework on this before I bought mine last month.

HighDesertWolf 06-04-2006 06:42 AM

I had a thought as much as I love my GP100, I wish ruger made something like it in a 44 mag using the same frame size in that case they might have to make it a 5 shot which wouldnt be that big a deal. Those large frame 44 mag hand guns are just to bulky to comfortably carry one on the hip all day long. but if ruger would make a 44 mag on a medium frame I think it would be perfect they could call it a GP200.

James B 06-04-2006 07:18 AM

I had a GP 100. I could shoot three inch six shot groups at 100 yards off a good rest. I am sure the gun was capable of shooting even better. Better than I can hold them anyway. I think for a first revolver, the GP 100 would be a fine choice. I don't know what youy like but myself, I don't want to pack a pistol that weighs as much as many rifles. If I were to pack such a handgun, it would only be an Encore. My second choice would be the Ruger 44 Mag. I would choose the Bisley Hunter model but the Redhawk would work well too. My biggest pick would be the 480 Ruger Redfhawk but there we are getting into the Heavy weights.

Charley 06-04-2006 02:27 PM

I'm thinking about picking up a Revolver that I would be able to use for both hunting, target shooting, and for peace of mind while in the the outdoors. I don't have much knowledge when it comes to Pistols/Revolvers and wanted some input.
I wouldn't consider one of the "Big Boys", like the 454, or even the .44 magnum, for general purpose revolver, especially for someone who's knowledge/experience level isn't fairly high. Those are pretty specialized firearms, but not really a tuck-on-your-belt-and-carry-all-day handgun. If you are not planning to travel in big bear country, and the most serious threat you face is from humans, go with the Ruger, or even S&W .357. The .454 and to a somewhat lesser extent, the .44 magnum, are not target/plinker guns that you will want to shoot 100 or more riounds a day.

Slowpitch 06-04-2006 06:58 PM

I own a Ruger super Redhawk in 44 mag 9.5" barrel, I bought used from a friend last year, feels great in my hand but was timmed to shoot it !!! Finally shot it, my eyes lit up & boy did i have fun at the range, I loved it, with a 9.5" barrel makes a big differance , Cant wait to shoot it again, went threw 75 rounds my first time & i'll do another 75 again soon...I have a 2-5 burris scope on it, Older scope but works well, need to take it down to Open field range & sight it in to 50 plus yards.
John Gentleman i bought it off of loved it & taken deer out to 85 yards with JHP , taken deer right off there feet & never got up again, Thats my kinda Revolver..

Good luck Looking for ( your ) gun ..

Raymond