Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Revolver/Pistol Purchase? >

Revolver/Pistol Purchase?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Revolver/Pistol Purchase?

Old 06-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Revolver/Pistol Purchase?

There is alot to like about the .357 because of the wide range of cartridges and bullets you can feed it. You could carry 180 grainers in the weeds and go down to 148 wadcutter 38 spc for target. I think revolvers offer the most pounce for the ounce, especially in single action if you don't need to reload real fast. However, I see you are in the Iron Range. If you spend a bunch of time way up north, I would say shell out the ammo bucks and go to a .44 Mag. You could plink with 44 specials and carry magnum 300 grainers in the sticks. That is what I do. Whatever you get, unless you shoot pistol alot, I would stay away from light frames and also get a good, comfy grip if you choose double action. Sporting loads rock&roll a bit. I would not go under a 4" barrel, and I prefer 5" or longer for sight picture.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

Thanx for the recommendations. I'd be picking it up more for peace of mind as I'll be hunting in NW Montana this fall just west of Glacier.I'm sure thatwon't be all I'll use it for. I'll do some more investigating and get out to the shops to handle as many as I can and go from there. It would be a plus to find something fairly light and since there were a few who liked the GP100 that will definitely be on my list to check out.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like my Smith and Wesson 629 44mag, but the Ruger Super Redhawk fits my hand better, and shoots just as well. It sounds like a 357 is going to be what you need, but if you decide to go 44mag, and like the S+W 629, make sure to get the wood grips. The exposed backstrap on those Smith N frames can dig into your hand pretty good with the magnum loads if you have the rubber grips since they only cover the sides.

If the gun is going to be for defense at all, I'd stick with a double action.
I wouldn't go bigger than a 44mag for defense or packing, only for hunting.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you're looking for something a little lighter than the GP100, check out the Ruger SP101. 5 shots instead of 6, so it's a bit smaller and easier to carry/conceal. Stainless steel, so it's easy to maintain. Rugged and reliable. I've got one and am very happy with it...

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5719&return=Y

According to Ruger's website, it's roughly 12-13 oz. lighter than a comparable GP100.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bought the Taurus Titanium 44 Mag. It has the power if you need it but shoots 44 Specials nice and easy. Its a handful with full power 44 Mag loads but at 28 OZ. its one you can carry all day and are more apt to have it with you if you need it. The recoil was not bad with the WW- 250 Grain partition gold loads. They are accurate but recoil was less than some fatory loads that I tried in it. For heavy loads, I picked up the Ruger Bisley Hunter. It has a 7 1/2 inch barrel and will handle the heavy loads well.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:16 PM

The two six guns I really like and wouldn't mind having either of are one of the taurus large frame .357's that hold 8 rounds, or a ruger single action in the same caliber.

I love those single action rugers[8D]. And the .357 is pretty versatile. Unless you were strictly going to hunt with it, then I would suggest a .44 mag because of the added power and range.

If I were you I would try and find someplace where you could rent them and try them out. Or maybe find someone that would let you shoot a few rounds through one. I always thought a .357 would be too much for me until I rented one and it wasn't that bad. Heck I did ok with a .44 mag. Wouldn't want to shoot one all day though.

Paul
Old 06-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up a Taurus Tracker 357 a few weeks ago, it is very lightweight and compact and it shoots extremely well. It has a ported barrel and doesn't have anymore recoil than a 9mm, if not less.