HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Winchester 1300 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/143082-winchester-1300-a.html)

pdoughertyMU 05-21-2006 09:32 PM

Winchester 1300

I am looking for a pump shotgun that gets the job done, is relatively cheap, and is dependable, that won't rust easy, and is good for everything. Is the winchester 1300 universal hunter for me? Any complaints? recomendations? It looks like a nice shotgun that covers all the grounds that i am looking to cover.

Oh, and I currently have a remington 870 express magnum in 20 gauge, but am not the biggest fan. I didn't take the best of care of it, but i definitely was not neglectful in cleaning it. It shoots real well, but it looks cheap (just as it is) and is already rusting in some spots. I want a shotgun that will last a lifetime with good maintenance. I have learned my lesson and will take better care, but need something that if i come in from a drizzly day of hunting, all that would be required is to wipe it dry before i let it sit for a few hours while I relax and get dry and comfortable after a long tiring day.

Thanks

Vapodog 05-21-2006 10:13 PM

RE: Winchester 1300

IMO a Winchester 1300 is a very fine pump gun.....as good as the 870 and I think a bit better.....and the 870 is a very good gun.

trailer 05-22-2006 04:31 AM

My 1300 works for me and I haven't had any problems with it either. Although mine is used for deer hunting with a rifled barrel the action is the same and it does the job...;)

Charley 05-22-2006 08:29 AM

One thing you might take into account, though, is there will be no more Winchester 1300s for a while, at least until someone else takes a crack at producing Winchester marked firearms.

flcracker 05-22-2006 09:15 AM

never had an ounce of problems out of mine...and after seven gobblers and untold other game shot with it. the only thing i dont like is if dirty the rotating bolt head might not lock up......but now this is really dirty....like the time i fell on it in the sand after running to a turkey i shot....after sitting indian style for 2 hours ....lol...got about 4 steps and plowed face first into the sand. but im sure you'd have the same problems with any kind of gun....except maybe a break open design. But man I will tell you what, the rotating bolt....i think they call it the speed pump or something like that...is like greased lightning. i used it to my advantage two years ago when i had to take three shots at a gobbler after my wife missed it....my first shot was a missed snap shot....second same thing...third one i took him on the fly...with a scoped shotgun no less....i felt like king of the world that day....just goes to show you that aimed shots are better than superior firepower any day.

AmericanPioneer 05-22-2006 10:39 AM

I have the Defender 1300. It has the matte finish, open sights, black syntheic stock and forearm, extended magazine (6 shots +1 with 3", 7+1 with 2 3/4") and if I recall correctly the 22" barrel. Mine has never let me down. I have several chokes for it and it shoots turkeys to clay pigeons to sabot slugs and doesnt miss a beat. The rotary action almost pumps itself after the shot. Only thing I had to do is get rid of the factory recoil pad for a sims vibration lab. I coudnt stand those 3" win. Supreme high velocity turkey loads off the bench. Now it is more managable. I would recommend it.

idahoelkinstructor 05-22-2006 10:05 PM

I too have the 1300 and realy like it! Itstheblack synthetic stock 28" barrel modle. I honestly can't remember what its called.

wyotimberghost 05-22-2006 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

I too have the 1300 and realy like it! Itstheblack synthetic stock 28" barrel modle. I honestly can't remember what its called.
I think it's something like the Super Black Shadow. I have the exact same gun, but with a 26" bbl, and I love it. I honestly think that it cannot be beaten for the price. I see them go on sale for $200 all the time, and I have shot Mossbergs and Remington 870's that cost $100 more and liked them less than my 1300. The 1300's forearm is very solid, unlinke the Benelli Nova, and it has a smoother pumping action than the 870. You cannot go wrong with this gun.

BTW, I'd reccoment getting the synthetic stock- if you walk a lot of brush and willows for birds a wood stock would just get all scatched up. The synthetics are nearly indestructable.