Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
???300 magnum.they good for deer?? >

???300 magnum.they good for deer??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

???300 magnum.they good for deer??

Old 10-30-2002, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ???300 magnum.they good for deer??

That's a nice little chart there, Quilly. I saw a web site where you could type in the weight of the rifle, the weight of the bullet, the weight of the powder charge and the velocity and it would convert the recoil to that specific rifle. Pretty cool. I'll have to find it and post it some day.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-30-2002, 11:14 AM
bigcountry

Quilly, why?

Old 10-30-2002, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 300 win mag is a great cartridge for most game but is unecessary for deer.The 7mm rem mag kills them just as dead with less recoil.The recoil is not that much different but it is noticeable.As for the suggestion of a 35 whelen for deer you certainly don't need a 358 caliber and it is not nearly as flat shooting as the 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag
Old 10-30-2002, 05:58 PM

the 300 winn is my all time fav.
but ...the 7mm is close behind,if you have both
you will have a hard time in picking what gun to hunt with.
..and for the trade I would keep the 7mm08.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:29 PM

barnes.X 308.

here is one..

www.huntingnut.com/pointblank.html

this might be the one you are talking about.
www.handloads.com/calc/index.html

Old 10-30-2002, 07:39 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> ???300 magnum.they good for deer??<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

No, they are not good for deer!!! I have never seen one that improved deer a whole lot!!! all the deer I saw hit by a 300 magnum did just the opposite! the deer actually deteriorated rather rapidly. So no, it is not good for deer. It is veeeery bad for them!!

Next questian, Why the heck would you want to use something this big for deer?

I was once an avid member of the &quot;over-kill club&quot; too... it was fun for a while... now I hunt with a revolver. Might pull my 7mm mag. out of the closet, with some lighter loads that I worked up.

To each his own!

7mm-08 is really sweet though...

~Happiness is flying brass! -Country Boy
Old 10-30-2002, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Far better to overkill than underkill IMHO.

It's also far easier (and safer, too) to reduce an overpowered cartridge than to try to make an inadequate cartridge powerful enough to do the job.

Just my opinion, for all it's worth!

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
&quot;They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.&quot; -Ben Franklin
Old 10-30-2002, 10:32 PM

a few of you guys are right on with the download theory. I have a load worked up for my .300 win mag that pushes a 180 gr. hornady sp 2750 fps. thats pretty close to 30-06 power and recoil. I also get moa groups as well. how bad can that be for deer, we will have to wait till deer season won't we.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:54 AM

I'm with these last two posts, you dont have to shoot any cartridge right at the point of busting the case every time. I think most of the hunting/shooting world is preoccupied by the ultra high velocity craze. This debate will go on forever, but extreme velocity is not the answer to everything. In my ignorant and backwards opinion, the biggest advantage to extreme velocities is less wind drift. Of course that doesnt become a problem until you get out past about 400 yards, which is beyond nearly everyone's effective range for deer shooting. The load I use for deer hunting is plodding along at a mere 2700 fps. I can make reliable hits in the kill zone out to around 400 yards provided I know the range, have a decent rest, and a deer that will stand still. In the past I also subscribed to the high velocity theory, but after years of trying to &quot;ray-gun&quot; deer to death at long range, I finally figured out that there are more important factors involved. I wouldnt trade my laser range finder for 600 more fps velocity. With a 200 yard zero, my 7x57 drops 10 inches at 300 yards, thats just 4 inches less than a 7 mag. From shooting positions encountered in the field while hunting, that is almost no difference to a deer hunter shooting at a live animal. The cross hair in a Leupold Vx III set on 10 power covers about that much (4&quot at 300 yards. Knowing the range and having a good zero is more important to me than having a bullet flying at 4000 fps. Now, I'm not saying that magnums shouldnt be used, if you like that go ahead and enjoy it, just be realistic about the advantages of higher velocity. Its not really worth a whole heck of alot unless you are shooting at something farther than 400 yards away. And if you have a magnum rifle, you dont have to load it to the max either. Whatever you use, take the time to learn what it will and wont do. Spend some time shooting at the ranges you might encounter while hunting. Reading about it and doing it are two different things. Happy hunting.

Old 11-01-2002, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well said, Larry338. I still like my speed, though. I don't need it but I like having it. Barnes XLC-150gr at 3450 looks mighty good on paper.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge

Quick Reply: ???300 magnum.they good for deer??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.