Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger! >

Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Old 06-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Banned

Default RE: Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

ORIGINAL: doubleA

Stubblejumper, I think tiny groups are to beexpected with a rifle that is more or less built with premium componets such as McMillan /HS stocks, tuned actions, triggers, Lilja/Hart/Krieger/Shilen barrels etc etc. regardless of caliber. That's kinda like taking candy away from a baby when you have some joe smoe shooting his wally mart special against a finely tuned rifle such as yours

With that said here some groups shot in the same session with a pure stock Ruger #1 in 416 Rigby . I know there are more accurate rifles chambered in the ol Rigbyand shooters better than myself, but I am sorta proud ofthe way the rifle handles off the bench. Oh..... and the recoil rocks my world[8D][8D][8D] Something about settling the 1st plane 4A reticle set at 6X on the bull and knowing good an well you are going to get smacked just tickles me..... The bottom left group blew my sub 1/2" average[:'(]

Great shooting doubleA!! I have a Ruger #1 in .204 that is only a 1'' to 1 1/2'' gun at a 100 yds..Too heavy of trigger. I used to think your quote was right till I bought Savages.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Banned

.300 wsm group I shot yesterday

Old 06-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Banned

22.250 group..yes a Savage again

Old 06-04-2006, 06:33 PM

Big guns make me flinch. Hell a 270 made me flinch and due to breathing problems the cross hairs bounced like a friggen basketball. Results, several misses at deer and coyotes. That browning 270 was a tack driver on the range from a solid rest. Traded it in on a savage 243 with a 26" bull barrel and accu trigger. Practiced shooting a few rounds about once every week or two all summer out to 300 yards. I downed a big buck opening day that was over 350 yards from me. One shot. I wouldn't trade that gun for anything. Would like to have one like it in a 308 to elk hunt with though.

Lots of people aren't that good of shot, me included, so I try to make it up with good equipment. I don't know of many hunters that want to carry a 10 lb rifle all day. Mine probably weights about that fully rigged out and ready to go.If I can do it, then so can everyone else!Its the difference of night and day to me when it becomes crunch time. Heavier is defanitly better! 3 or 4 pounds difference is not all that much!!!

Mark
Old 06-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

my .22 works fine and dandy for me and my squirrel buddys thank you
Old 06-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey stubble....those groups are just wrong...lol. Nice shooting.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, have you had any women who shoot .30 cal or bigger take great exception to your statement?
Old 06-10-2006, 02:02 AM

I just have to jump in here, this is too good to pass up!!!! I must be THE MACHO MAN!!!! I hunt with the rifles I have built for my self, a .366 DGW, then there is my double which is chambered for the .450 # 2 Nitro, a .308 Norma and my wifes rifle which is chambered in her own wild cat the .366/358 Norma nick named the .366 Barbie. I hope her shooting a "big bore" does not make her a man, that would be really hard for me to take! Bottom line as I see it is this. I am much more impressed with a person who can hit what they are shooting at where they should or shoot those one hole groups with a .243 then by a person who can miss or hit poorly with a .458!
Old 06-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Judson

Bottom line as I see it is this. I am much more impressed with a person who can hit what they are shooting at where they should or shoot those one hole groups with a .243 then by a person who can miss or hit poorly with a .458!
[/align]

Old 06-10-2006, 01:11 PM

Good marksmanship is a logical requisitefor any firearm.
Good marksmanship is more a function of the shooter than the rifle.
Good marksmanship is demonstrated in many ways ranging from effective gametakingfrom field positionsto marathons at the sandbagged range table.
Good marksmanship is not automatically guaranteed nor rescindedby the use of any one caliber or cartridge over another.

Quick Reply: Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.