Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Douglas vs Shilen vs Wilson Arms >

Douglas vs Shilen vs Wilson Arms

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Douglas vs Shilen vs Wilson Arms

Old 05-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Douglas vs Shilen vs Wilson Arms

I used to live close to the douglas shop. For some odd reason, when I was shopping around for custom built guns, I met so many gunsmiths that said they will install any barrel besides a douglas. I know Melvin Forbes uses them, and you can't get much more respectful than them.
YOur only as good as your last barrel keep that in mind. Melvin and a good gunsmith I know use them almost exclusively and love them. I had a match Douglas on my custom 308 and the gun was a joy to shoot and cleanup after the fact.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:06 PM
bigcountry

thats true. YOu put out a run of bad barrels, and all the sudden, that can stick with you. I am sure all of em have it happen. Espeically now that places like sinclair keep them all in stock.

I know my last krieger copper fouled pretty bad. If you looked down the barrel, (especially with borescope)you could see the cut marks from thier single point cut technique. I figured if its hand lapped, you really should be able to see that? It was uniform cut. With that barrel also, I builtup alot of pressure quickly. So I couldn't top out max loads in it. I have been a krieger believer for a long time. But not so sure now.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

And I had a shilen put on a rifle in 1975 that didn't shoot worth a crap. Remington 700 so a bad one got out then. That's when they were building their reputation. I haven't a clue on how new ones do but I haven't heard too much negatives if any on new stuff.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Douglas exclusively now.....just can't find a reason to change.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:54 PM

Iwould be more concerned with who screws on the barrel then whos barrel you use. We use Shilen barrels because we tell our customers our guns will shoot under 1/2" and with these barrels I can do that. But the locking lugs have to be lapped, the action squared and the head space right on this is up to the gunsmith to take care of. Good accuracy is lots more then a good barrel!
Old 05-21-2006, 04:40 PM

I have agree 100% with Judson. I have a 220 Swift Swift with a Shilen barrel, a 30'06 AI with a Douglas barrel and 4 rifles with Wilson barrels. The Shilen is OK, the Douglas is a good shooter and all four of my Wilson barrels are superb. Of course it's not fair because I have no earthly idea who did the work on the Shilen and Douglas Barrels. Competitive Edge in Missouri does all my rebarreling now and they are perfectionists. I have been thinking about hauling the Swift down there to have it checked.

I also have 2 rifles with A and B barrels....supposedly the cheapos...that are wonderful! A 257 Ackley and a 7MM Ackley. Sub 1/2 inch shooters. As Judson said (paraphrasing), you can have the most expensive barrel in the world and if it isn't Smithed properly, You have a crap shoot on your hands! Regards, Rick.