HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   .30 cal elk bullet? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/142573-30-cal-elk-bullet.html)

CAM2 05-15-2006 03:00 PM

.30 cal elk bullet?

i'm planning a trip out to wyoming in october of '07 and i want to start working on some loads for my ruger 300 win mag. i've done some research on bullets so i have some in mind that i would like to try but i wanted to see what people with experience harvesting elk or similar size animals wouldsuggest. to my understanding shots can be real close or as far out as i feel comfortable shooting so i would need a bullet that will hold up to close shots and expand ata distance as well.

James B 05-15-2006 03:03 PM

RE: .30 cal elk bullet?

Lots of good bullets out there but if your gun shoots them well, the 180 grain Nosler Partition would be perfect. You can load them yourself or find them in the Federal premium line of ammo.

Rammer 05-15-2006 05:01 PM

I have a few that come to mind.

From Nosler - Partitions, and Accu Bond.
Hornady - Interbond
Barnes - TSX or X Bullet
Combined Technology - Fail Safe, Partition

I have never been elk hunting yet, but my old man took my 7mm Rem Mag on his last hunt. He was able to harvest 2 bull elk on the hunt with 2 different reloads of mine. The first bull he shot was with 160gr Nosler Accu Bonds, bull dropped in its tracks. The second bull he shot (backed up buddy), was after it was hit with another guys 338, he put one Barnes 160gr TSX into the bull and it went roughly 15 yards. Both shots were in the 175 yard range. Both loads also shot to the same point of aim.

ELKampMaster 05-15-2006 08:02 PM

180 gr Partitions or Barnes TSX.

stubblejumper 05-15-2006 08:31 PM

The 165gr,168gr or 180gr tsx would all be fine choices.

handloader1 05-15-2006 10:39 PM

I have had many one shot kills with Barnes X bullets. Good luck

RedAllison 05-15-2006 10:47 PM

There simply isn't a better "elk bullet" for the 30 cal than the 180grn Barnes Triple Shock. It's like shootin solids at em, one hole in, one hole out and DAMAGE in between...

Nevermind the shot angle, just aim it so it will strike the heart/lungs and then make sure your skinnin knife is SHARP!!! ;)
RA

eldeguello 05-16-2006 08:24 AM

Well, the Nosler Partition in either 200 or 180-grain weight will certainly do the job. I use the 7mm size 175-grainer, and it works for elk whether shot from a 7mm Mag. or a 7X57mm.... I believe the Accubond in 180 or 200 grains would also be a good one.

Roskoe 05-16-2006 11:35 AM

All of the bullets listed here will work on elk. In addition, let me recommend the 180 Swift Scirocco - not the new Scirocco 2 - as the "best of the best". These are still available as a component (going fast) and as factory ammo from Remington. Best balance of penetration and expansion I have seen so far.

Colorado Luckydog 05-16-2006 05:48 PM

I'm new to the forum, but I'm an accomplished elk hunter. I've killed my share of bulls over my little short elk hunting career. More important than the round you choose, is zeroing your rifle. You need to make sure you take the time to zero it at the elevation that you will be hunting. There are alot of good rounds, and I'm sure you will choose a good one, but if you're not zeroed at, or close to your hunting elevation you could miss that trophy your going for. Good luck!