HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Is Remington ever going to come out (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/142101-remington-ever-going-come-out.html)

oldelkhunter 05-10-2006 11:39 AM

Is Remington ever going to come out

with an american produced rifle/shotgun ever again or just rely on importing Russian,Spanish and Yugoslavian products adding a US made riflestock and jacking up the price over what Daly used to charge.

bigcountry 05-10-2006 12:01 PM

RE: Is Remington ever going to come out

I would say they are going to do option B unfortately.

RedAllison 05-10-2006 12:04 PM

lol oeh, most of "Big Greens" guns are still built here stateside (700s, 7400/7600,870/1187, 597 etc...) but their quality control sure has taken a nosedive over the last decade or so. I have a nearly 30 year old 700ADL that is still has better tolerance than ANYTHING sitting on the rack at work today. Lastweek I got all excited when a brand new RMEF edition 700XCR, 300WSM with hardwoods camo stock came in. I couldn't wait to get it open.

Boy was I dismayed when I pulled the gun from the box and on each topside of the stock right along where the barrel exits the channel the camo was coming up/flaking. This from their best, top of the line, factory rifle??? :eek:I see similar crap from them as well throughout the year. Mechanically the guns still seem to be "decent" and work as designed. But I can remember a time when Remington wasn't about being "decent" and "just working" wasn't one of their parameters in building.

I won't even go into the horror stories I have had with their "Mayfield guns" (guns like the 710 and 597 which are built in Mayfield, KY). Let's just say that NONE of them will ever reside in my own personal gunsafes @ home!

Of course show me ANY company that has kept their quality committment, attention too detail and quality control once they whored out too the biggies like Wal-Mart and BPS...
RA

ps
Personally I think they have the capacity to annually produce about 100,000 QUALITY, first rate guns like they built in the 60s-70s and early 80s. But they are using that capacity to build probably 500,000+ guns annually.

oldelkhunter 05-10-2006 12:56 PM

Of course show me ANY company that has kept their quality committment, attention too detail and quality control once they whored out too the biggies like Wal-Mart and BPS...
Dang Red you used the W@@@mart word around here this may turn into a 6 page thread:D. There is virtually no chance I would purchase anything from them every again. I live about 30 miles from their corporate hdqtrs and I like supporting local companies but enough is enough.

Vapodog 05-10-2006 09:20 PM

There is enough evidence that Remington is in serious trouble.....

The errors on the website and latest catalog are among them.

Count the number of non firearms items for sale on their catalog.....at least 53 different knives and a wash pan full of other things to sell.

Seems they're more interested in selling trivia than guns.

I'm not at all optimistic about them.

oldelkhunter 05-11-2006 08:20 AM

They need to realize that upgrading a gun means action,barrel and trigger not just adding another iteration ofa riflestock. They must be making a ton on the imports though but losing it elsewhere

HuntElk4Fun 05-11-2006 07:11 PM

I switched from Remington to Browning A Bolts. Bought 2 this year, yes, I pay a little more, but sure do like the Brownings. Still not the best on the planet by any means, but I personally think it's better than where Remington is these days.