Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mossberg action problem >

Mossberg action problem

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg action problem

Old 04-29-2006, 10:19 PM

Default Mossberg action problem

While shooting my Ulti-Mag 835 I noticed the action opening 1/2 the after the shot. It only does it with 3 1/2" shells. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg action problem

jiggs jr.,

Personally I dont think you have a problem. I owned a 500 way back and when firing slugs the action would open and all but eject. I contacted Mossberg and they explained it this way. The Mossberg gas system is designed so that as soon as the gas pressure is low enough, the slide will disengage. Basically so as fast as you can pump you can shoot. When you use it on the rest and do not have your hand on the slide, you realize, when holding the foreend, you are jamming one in for a second shot and dont notice how quickly it releases, only from a bench or patterning. And with the kick from a 3 1/2 the recoil is making the slide work which tells you how fast the gas clears and you can chamber another shell for a second shot if necessary, but then none us need a second one! [8D]

Hope that helps, IMHO I do not think you have a problem, but if you still feel it is serious, give Mossberg service a call.... always got good help from them.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2006, 06:38 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-30-2006, 08:38 PM

Thanks guys, sounds like differing opions. The end result is an agreed opun "no big deal" that is kinda what I thought. I might still get a hold of the boys at Mossberg to see what they say. Once again Thanks
Old 04-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes guess I been thinking Army too long, there is no gas tube on the 835, sound like a dummy, but it is the inertia that does it allowing for a quicker follow on. Glad got folks like cma3366a to keep me straight! [8D]
Old 05-11-2006, 07:47 PM

Well you are both right Mossberg service said there is no problem. I felt kind of stupid for asking, because the service rep answered so fast that I didnt feel like asking any more questions, but I did want to know why it only does it with 3 1/2" not 3", or 2 3/4"? any one have any ideas?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

no such thing as a stupid question. You had a question that could effect safety. As I was always told only stupid question is one that never gets asked. If you have more give them a call, what customer service is for. Glad you got it figured out though! [8D]
Old 05-12-2006, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jiggs jr.

While shooting my Ulti-Mag 835 I noticed the action opening 1/2 the after the shot. It only does it with 3 1/2" shells. Has anyone else had this problem?
completely normal, infact this will actually help you cycle shells faster.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

It could be just you recovering from the recoil of the 3 1/2" shells causing the action to partially open??? Just thinking. Pattering my 870 Super Mag using Federal 3 1/2" turkey loads off a rest was to say the least, not pleasant. That load developes a lot of ftlbs of recoil.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:32 AM

it's isn't inirtia either that allows the gun to come unlocked. The "gas system" that JL was talking about was the fact that the gun comes unlocked as the gas preasure of the shot decreases to a safe point and the locking mechanism unlocks. Inirtia and the shooter moving forward after being displaced backwards from the recoil of a 3.5" is whats causing the chamber to open up slightly.

I had the same concern of my 870 super mag so I shot it off a bench without my hand on the pump. magically it stayed in the forward position.

Also not all gas operated guns have gas tubes. Just those designed to really cause all kinds of fouling in places you don't need all kinds of fouling (ie the action)

Quick Reply: Mossberg action problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.