HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   STEVENS .30-06 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/140814-stevens-30-06-a.html)

BSTNFREEK 04-26-2006 04:18 PM

STEVENS .30-06

I just purchased my first real rifle ( I have .22's but they dont count..lol), and I decided to go with kind of a budget rifle, as in Southern WI, you cant really hunt much more than coyotees with a rifle. I purchased a Stevens model 20030-06, put weaver mounts and rings, and will be topping it with a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope 3-9 x 40. Has anyone had any experiance with this gun?
reliablility?
accuracy?
ease of cleaning?
common problems?
ammo that works best?
just curious.... dont need advice on what I should have bought, I already have it in my gun safe, and am in love with the higher end Bushnell scopes, so there is no changing my mind there either.
Gun will be used for....Coyotee, feral cats(yeah I know its overkill),and the VERY occasional feral hog, all shots within 250 yards, and I dont claim to be a sniper with a rifle, I'm just hoping for 2 - 3" groups.
opinions??
thanks!!

sean

jcchartboy 04-26-2006 04:59 PM

RE: STEVENS .30-06

Sounds like a great setup for your intended puposes, this gun should handle alot of different situations, Congrats...

As far as specifics on that particular gun, I have not shot or handled one. However, for all intensive purposes it is simply a value priced Savage. I would think that you will be very happy with it as your first rifle.

The only specific recommendation I will make concerns the trigger. After you have confirmed the gun shoots well, I would recommend considering at least lightening the trigger yourself, (any easy screw adjustment), or better yet purchasing a Timney/Rifle basix aftermarket trigger.

The Savage trigger itself is reasonably good, and easy to adjust, the only issue is that you can not reduce theweight of pullvery much. I believe it is easier to just spend the 50$ and move up to a Timney/Rifle basix trigger which are more adjustable in terms of weight of pull, as well as overtravel, and sear engagement etc. (Remember you can keep the original trigger and reinstall it if you ever sell this gun,retaining most ofyour 50$ investment).

This something to consider only after you have become familiar with the gun, and only if you want to try ring a little more performance out it.

ConstructionWorker 04-26-2006 05:27 PM

Savage rifles are very good rifles. I own two. One in 223 and 243. Great guns.

Deadeye777 04-27-2006 01:43 AM

oh you don't know how good of a deal you got! I have a stevens 200 in .223. thing shoots like a dream. It hits subMOA no problem and when i really do my part can take coyote up to 200 yards offhand. as reliable as I'd ever need.

Issues commonly faced: People dont' like the stock, it's pretty flimsy - they glass bed it or buy replacements (still shoots where i want so i dont care!) . every so often someone gets a rifle that has a light feeding issue that can be fixed permanently with a tiny tug on the magazine box lip with a pair of plyers. no biggie. other than that... it's all the rifle i'll ever need. I'm not going to pay 1000 for a name on my rifle when i have a workhorse savage. these are phenominal i can't say that enough.

take a gander at

http://www.savageshooters.net/savageforum/

for a community based on all the savage rifles. Greatest forum I know of. nice, helpfull, filled with enthusiasts. You should get in touch with them and ask all the questions you want. you have plenty of modding to do if you want! it's fun!

BSTNFREEK 04-28-2006 02:38 PM

THANKS GUYS!! Good to know that I bought an inexpensive gun....not a cheap one!