HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   .22 mag: Worth it? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/139913-22-mag-worth.html)

VT_Hunter1980 04-17-2006 01:10 PM

.22 mag: Worth it?

I recently purchased a single six with the interchangeable cylinders and bought a box of .22 mags just to see how the gun shot with them.

Mostly, they were a bit louder than the .22 LR and about twice as expensive.

I'm half considering picking up a .22 mag rifle, but don't know if it's worth it. It's almost as expensive to shoot them as a .223, assuming you can find bulk or surplus ammo, and not as powerful and explosive on impact.

With advent of the new .17 rimfires, will the .22 mag end up obsolete?

Soilarch 04-17-2006 01:19 PM

RE: .22 mag: Worth it?

I have a single six with the interchangeable cylinders like you...my trigger is absolutely horrible, I hope you're is better. (Mines 30 years old so maybe they've maybe some quality improvements) I really don't know if the 22mag will become an obsolete round or not. It has a very limited "niche" to begin with, and the new 17s certainly crowd in on it. I will probably always prefer the .22mag for anything less than 100yards though because I'm a follow the "big 'n slow" crowd over the "light n' fast".

VT_Hunter1980 04-17-2006 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

I have a single six with the interchangeable cylinders like you...my trigger is absolutely horrible, I hope you're is better. (Mines 30 years old so maybe they've maybe some quality improvements) I really don't know if the 22mag will become an obsolete round or not. It has a very limited "niche" to begin with, and the new 17s certainly crowd in on it. I will probably always prefer the .22mag for anything less than 100yards though because I'm a follow the "big 'n slow" crowd over the "light n' fast".
I did a poor mans trigger job on mine by taking the grip off and disabling one side of the trigger return spring. It cut's the trigger pull of a Ruger down substantially. Here's a link on how to do it http://www.gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm

I guess I should give the disclaimer about it being safe on my gun, but may not be on yours.

usens 04-17-2006 01:37 PM

i got a rugar single six shot i love it its got the 22 mag. and the 22 lr cylenders shoots great

Vapodog 04-17-2006 01:51 PM

they are a step up in rimfires only if your gun has the accuracy to shoot groups good enough to make use of the additional velocity.

The 22 Mag I had didn't do that and I haven't bought another one.....others have had different experiences than I.

I can still buy 22 LR shells for $.02 each.....can you really get the Mags for $.04?.....

nyorange 04-17-2006 02:43 PM

From reports I have read the 22 WRM doesn't develop any real edge over the .22lr in pistols. Only in rifles does the 22 mag develop the much greater performance. Supposedly its due to the slow burning powders in the .22mag that basically just create greater muzzle flash in revolvers due to the short barrel. Don't know for certain but the chronograph results I ve seen claimed seem to support it. hope it helps.

Charley 04-17-2006 02:48 PM

If you can chronograph the .22 Magnum cylinder, I think you will find you are getting way less than the rated velocity the cartridge is capable of in a rifle. Louder, but not neccesarily more power, or at least not much more than .22 LR. Interchangable cylinder revolvers are also producedwith a compromise bore/groove diameter, and are often not as accurate with .22 Magnum as with .22 LR.
If you like it, no problem. I don't think it is worth the extra ammunition cost, but that's just me.

wyotimberghost 04-17-2006 03:02 PM

Just buy a .223, it will be tons better for varmints and much more fun to shoot. If you want a plinking gun buy a normal .22 LR. That's what I'd do.

Deleted User 04-17-2006 03:09 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

PA_BOW_HUNTER 04-17-2006 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

Just buy a .223, it will be tons better for varmints and much more fun to shoot. If you want a plinking gun buy a normal .22 LR. That's what I'd do.
Ditto