Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 do I have enough gun? >

do I have enough gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

do I have enough gun?

Old 04-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: do I have enough gun?

? for all here why do all of you use a shotgun for turkey here where I live most of the people use .22 mag. and so do I. I have never had one fly away when you hit it and it does not hurt the meat with a lot of holes just one hole and dinner is on.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: renfrowridge

? for all here why do all of you use a shotgun for turkey here where I live most of the people use .22 mag. and so do I. I have never had one fly away when you hit it and it does not hurt the meat with a lot of holes just one hole and dinner is on.
Chuck, it's against the law in FL.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:47 AM

Hummm, I've killed many a turkey with an old Winchester model 12 with a Modified choke out to 30 yards. I killed a jake once at 35 steps with a 20 gauge choked modified. I think that its more about putting them where you aim rather than how tight the choke is. On some of these "turkey chokes" they shoot so tight that its about like shooting a slug out to 30 yards. And some times they move the point of impact significantly. I've seen turkeys missed at close range because the pattern was too tight. Pattern your gun and figure out what the effective range of the weapon is. Then don't take a shot unless the turkey gets within the range.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Hummm, I've killed many a turkey with an old Winchester model 12 with a Modified choke out to 30 yards.
My first shotgun in 1952, Winchester model 12, 20ga,Modified choke. Killed many a turkeys with it! Still have it in the safe! It was a present from my father on my 12th B'Day.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Pattern your gun and figure out what the effective range of the weapon is. Then don't take a shot unless the turkey gets within the range.
Good advise for any hunting!!! I use a 12 ga. front stuffer that won't throw a tight pattern beyond 25 yards. The key is that I know not to shoot farther than 25 yards with it and it's killed every turkey it's ever been pointed at. Learn your gun, use it within it's limits and learn to hunt!
Old 04-11-2006, 02:50 PM

I don't think anyone is saying what you said happen didn't take place, or that we have trouble believing it. I don't doubt that it happened at all. That doesn't mean it happens to everyone and that anything less than a dedicated turkey gun is a POS and will not work. I have seen the same thing happen with turkey loads and extra full chokes. It all depends on well your gun patterns at that distance with a particular load. I spent a fair amount of money finding a load that worked well with mine. Shotguns are just like rifles, you need to do the home work to find the right ammo. At least if you want them to be effective.

I would take an even patterned modified or full choke vrs a messed up pattern with holes in it out of a turkey choke. I personally use a turkey choke in my 12 gauge pump. I shot some PMC #6 turkey loads that would not pattern worth a darn at 30 yards and beyond. Left a big old hole in the pattern right where the head of the turkey would be. After some trial and error I discovered that Winchester #4 turkey loads patern the best out of my gun. I also have adjustable sights on my turkey gun.

I personally think 71/2's are a bit light for turkey, regardless of what gauge it is. I don't even think they are legal in MI. I think it has to be between #6 and #4 shot for turkey. with 7 1/2's and a 410 you better be really close and hit it square in the head. That would by my guess anyway.

I have a buddy that shot a turkey last year with a Franchi light weight 20 gauge trap gun.

As far as using a rifle, same in MI, have to use a shotgun or bow. If I could use my .17 HMR I don't even think it would be a challenge. If I could see it I could kill it I think.

Paul
Old 04-11-2006, 06:09 PM

good stuff guys. im gonna buy some different loads and see what i can get out of this old 20.