Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Buying used Rifles >

Buying used Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying used Rifles

Old 04-01-2006, 08:43 AM
bigcountry

Default Buying used Rifles

I buy and sell alot of rifles. So I always got my ear to the ground for deals. But I would say its a rarety for someone to post "Used whatever, whatever,honest 200 rounds fired thru it or maybe more". Its always "only fired 6 times but very accurate to a bizzion yards." Where are all the guns in the world fired 3 box's a season?

I have been hitting this longbow seen hard lately. I just bought a used bow that said only used 2 months before rotator cuff went, and shot very few times. I get it, and the string has had it, it wasn't a 05 model but a 04. I bet it was shot at least 1000 arrow or more. Also found a flaw in the string grooves. How can somebody with good conscience sella product like that.

I have one sale under my belt out of maybe 100 that I have to admit I wasn't 100% honest. It has been eating at me. It all turned out good in the end. But I still feel bad. Maybe I am getting paid back.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:11 AM

Default RE: Buying used Rifles

Dishonesty and integrity are two different things, with one being all too prevailent and the other being too scarce these days. From what you just said, I wish there were more people, like you bigco, that actually have a conscience and are honest --

It seems like people today will say anything to make a buck. Stinks, but that's the way it goes -- Then again, some people are just idiots...
Old 04-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am also into the "buy/sell" game, and it is a game (and addictive). I started in 1993 when I got my first job after college and didn't have a clue what I was doing, but in the last 12 years, I have come to enjoy the hunt for the next "deal" more than making a couple of bucks off the find. I used to say that hunters and "gun guys" were all "stand up" guys, but after being taken for $650, my eyes were opened that everyone is not honest. However, in over 500 transactions in 12 years, I can't really complain.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Old 04-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's like that with everything. I've experienced the same thing with farm equipment. Everything is alwaysvery tight, engine is in good shape, etc. They always point out the obvious, like "oh the tires are a little worn" and that sort of thing, but you'd think they never had a single breakdown.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had one episode like that......not saying the guy was dishonest but lets just say I bought a gun and it supposedly had a box and half shot thorugh it and the guy just didnt want it anymore. Well after using Hoppes benchrest twice I had to finally take it to my gunsmith to have all the copper fouling electronically removed because the barrel was fouled out so bad. The key was after all this I started shooting it and the gun shoots incredible. My take was, the guy shot it alot and the groups started going away and he didnt know about copper fouling/removing so he got rid of it. I got the gun for a good price so I made out on the deal.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually I insist on a 3 day inspection without firing the gun when buying or selling
Old 04-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've only sold a few guns, one of which I regretted selling not because I was screwing the buyer, but because I wish I had the gun back. I have some guns that I couldn't sell in good conscience because they are unsafe, unless I sold thm for parts.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:42 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

I had one episode like that......not saying the guy was dishonest but lets just say I bought a gun and it supposedly had a box and half shot thorugh it and the guy just didnt want it anymore. Well after using Hoppes benchrest twice I had to finally take it to my gunsmith to have all the copper fouling electronically removed because the barrel was fouled out so bad. The key was after all this I started shooting it and the gun shoots incredible. My take was, the guy shot it alot and the groups started going away and he didnt know about copper fouling/removing so he got rid of it. I got the gun for a good price so I made out on the deal.
So I see you didn't take my advise on using butches or Sweets or wipeout. Brother once you use it, you will throw away that benchrest.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

Every gun I have ever sold, I wish I had back. Win Mod 70, Super BlackHawk 44 Mag, Winchester Ranger Pump, Rem 700 ADL, Rem 700, ect, ect. Larry

Quick Reply: Buying used Rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.