HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Reason NOT to Buy a Used Gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/138292-reason-not-buy-used-gun.html)

Criggster 03-31-2006 01:03 PM

Reason NOT to Buy a Used Gun

Let me start by saying that most of my guns are used; only two of them were bought new. Here's my story about what took place a few days ago.

I drove to a conference and took my shotgun for the skeet shoot. I unloaded the car at the motel and turned in for the night. An hour later there was a knock on the door and when I peeped to see who it was there were three police officers standing in the hall. I opened the door and one of them asked if I owned a honda car, and I replied that I did. Then he asked if i had a gun in my car and I replied that I did. He asked to come in, so I told him sure. He asked me to describe the gun, and I told him it was a 870 express pump 12 ga. shotgun. He told me that they had recovered it when they arrested a guy! It was stolen from my car! I was pissed!!

I know i should not have left it in the car, but I had lots of other gearI had to unload, and the gun was in a case in the back floor board. Here's where it gets really screwed up! He asked me where I got the gun, and I replied that I bought it right after I graduated high school in 1993 at a gun shop that was no longer in business. I had bought the gun used. He informed me that the gun was reported stolen! I told him that I did not recall filling out any paperwork on the gun, but I may have since it was a long time ago. He asked if I still had a receipt, which I don't.

So, to make a long story short. The officer called the county sheriff's office where the gun was reported stolen, and sure enough it was reported stoled a couple months before I bought it!! I could not believe it!! We went out to the car and made sure the theif did not steal anything else. I later found out that bounty hunters caught the guy in a motel room in the city I was staying in. He had 6 felony warrants against him, and they caught him with my gun, drugs, and paraphernelia. I was in disbelief, while at the same time I was mad. This guy could have sold the gun, or committed a crime and it would of had my name written all over it! Thank goodness the bounty hunters caught him. But, now I am out a gun; because I bought a stolen gun. I had to go buy a brand new gun for our turkey season that opens in a week.

So, the morals of the story are never buy a used gun unless the serial number has been cleared, and don't leave your guns in your vehicle!

Brush hunter 03-31-2006 02:36 PM

RE: Reason NOT to Buy a Used Gun

I hope this will be a lesson to all.

FastShootingCarts 03-31-2006 02:52 PM

I own several used guns. How can I see if the S/N has been cleared?Any websites for this?
Thanks.

Vapodog 03-31-2006 02:59 PM

sorry for your trouble but all of life comes with risks and this case is a very poor reason to never again buy a used gun.....just saying it like it is.

FastShootingCarts 03-31-2006 03:11 PM

I'll continue to buy used guns myself. Just picked up a Ruger M77 in .270 Win. made in 1980. Love it. :D

Brush hunter 03-31-2006 03:19 PM

I've called the sheriff's office to check serial numbers.

KodiakArcher 03-31-2006 03:50 PM

Buy from a reputable dealer (who would be checking the serial numbers before he takes them in because he can loose them to the authorities just like you can) and always keep the receipts!

mossy33oak 03-31-2006 04:00 PM

ORIGINAL: FastShootingCarts

I own several used guns. How can I see if the S/N has been cleared?Any websites for this?
Thanks.
I recently purchased a used gun from a friend and was curious about this too, I asked my cousin who is a deputy for the county I live in and he said he could run the number for me but if it came up stolen he would have to confiscate it because when he calls it in if it is stolen, it automatically logs it in with the Federal Government and then the officer is responsible for what happens next. Of course I had him do it because I didnt want to be possessing an illegal weapon. Just passing on this info.

Hairtrigger 03-31-2006 05:10 PM

Receipts come in handy at times

FastShootingCarts 03-31-2006 06:08 PM

Thanks Mossy.