HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Problem w/ my new pump jamming..... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/138240-problem-w-my-new-pump-jamming.html)

mobow 03-30-2006 08:43 PM

Problem w/ my new pump jamming.....

I just bought a Stoeger P-350 this past weekend in a 12 ga. Last evening was the first chance I've had to play with it. Well, needless to say I am not happy. It won't cycle 3 shells w/out jamming!! Here's the deal. If I load 1 up the pipe and 2 in the tube, don't fire it but pump all 3 out, it works perfectly. Now, shoot the first one and it tries to feed both in the chamber at the same time. And it does it EVERY time. Ok, so I only put one in the mag.....it works about 75% of the time, but the rest of the time it gets hung trying to feed up.

I am going to take the thing completely apart and give it one heck of a cleaning, but outside of that, anybody have any ideas?

Vapodog 03-30-2006 08:56 PM

RE: Problem w/ my new pump jamming.....

Return it for warranty work.

We get what we pay for is the old rule.

Adirondack Hunter 04-02-2006 05:36 PM

try different shells, my remington 870 sometimes jamms when i shoot federal target loads, but not winchesters or remingtons.

HighDesertWolf 04-04-2006 04:22 AM

sounds like an extractor problem, if it were me id send in to the manufacturer and have them fix it.

Bulzeye 04-04-2006 11:18 AM

I'll agree that if it's brand new, it should be a warranty repair.

I've taken apart several pumps in the past (Rem 870's, Mossberg 500's, and an old JC Higgins) to check out the operation and see how how the parts mesh to do their jobs.If the shell in the chamber is part of the jam then it 's an extraction problem, but ifthe chambered shell is getting clear andthe 2nd and 3rd shells clog up,thenit sounds like there is something wrong with one of the feed control arms or their timing.

There is(in the guns I'm familiar with)one arm that holds the shells in the mag tube when the gun is in battery, and another one, slightly forward of the first, that takesover when the pump is cycled. When the action is opened, the first arm swings clear of the case rim allowing the shell to pop onto the lifter, while the second arm swings into position to keep thenext shell in the mag tube.

If you're getting a double feed with the 2nd and 3rd shells, either the second arm isn't grabbing the 3rd shell in time, or the second arm is releasing the 3rd shell before the first grabs it when you return the gun to a battery condition.

Regardless of the problem, they'd better fix it for free.
Good luck.

mobow 04-05-2006 05:18 PM

Called Stoeger and voiced my displeasure. Of course, their only action will be to fix it, so I have to ship it to them. They are going to make it right, but I must say I won't buy another Stoeger. I'm quite disappointed. I did a fair amount of research on them and the general concensus was that they are a good all purpose hunting gun that can take abuse without a lot of cost associated with bells and whistles.
The shottie points good and shoots good. Every clay bird I toss up gets disintegrated, but call me silly, I feel a product should work right out of the box. Needless to say, they've lost a customer and a couple of potential customers.

Bulzeye 04-06-2006 10:29 AM

Make sure to ask them to pick up the shipping costs too.
I had a problem with a new scope once, and although theyagreed to fix it for free they did not volunteer to pay for the shipping. They did end up paying for it, but I had to ask. They weren't going to just give it to me if I didn't already think I was entitled to it.

Give it a try. Can't hurt, but might help.

Slowpitch 04-06-2006 04:40 PM

Had the same problem with my Ithaca 12 gauge deer slayer model, Im 3rd owner so its been around, after 1 or 2 shots shell used to jam TIGHT, but fixed that pretty easy believe it or not i used T/C Bore Butter & cleaned the inside pretty good I'am on Hmmm 40 rounds with no jam .........Stuff is amazeing..

Raymond

P.S Your guns new take it back & get another, But i read up on those stoegers for the price you paid, that's was one of the common problems with that model or just buy a mossberg !!!

mobow 04-06-2006 08:55 PM

Bulzeye, I did. They are indeed picking up the shipping costs. In fact, I didn't have to ask. They volunteered. Thanks for the help guys. We'll check back in when I get it back.