Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sig Question >

Sig Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sig Question

Old 03-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sig Question

I know this is really a dumb question, but ya please just answer. I'm looking to get a sig 229 for my first pistol and was looking over images of the gun online. I'm not sure where the safety is. Its the lever right above the grip correct?

Old 03-28-2006, 04:20 PM

Default RE: Sig Question

No. That's the slide release.

There is no external "safety" on the Sig P229. The other lever, in front of the slide lock you have indicated, is the de-cock lever. I suppose some would call it a "safety", but it really isn't. It just de-cocks the pistol without firing it.

This is a double action pistol. To fire the gun, you simply need to pull the trigger, whether it is cocked or not. There is no "safety" on this model handgun that disables this feature.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan is 100% correct on the lack of safety, but the P229 is an excellent choice for a first handgun and should last you a lifetime. I have a P228 that I bought new in 1995, and though I have several other pistols, my Sig will always have a homein my safe.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sigs are great guns! I have a P226 and one of the things that really won me over was the lack of a safety on it, thats one less thing to have to worry about when I need to use it to defend my self, all I have to do is squeeze the trigger.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:38 PM

well I wouldn't say that sigs don't have a safty it is just that they are not the traditional safty features we are used to. like someone already said the de-cocker is a safty in that it safely lowers the hamer after you have loaded the chamber or have fired the gun but have remaining rounds in the Mag. Also the only way the gun will fire is if the trigger is pulled to the rear...basicly there is a hammer block that doesn't allow the hammer to strick the firing pin till the trigger has been pulled to the rear. the lack of a manual safety doesn't make the gun any less safer than anyother. don't pull the trigger and the gun will not fire, it is that simple.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

u can charge the slide hit the decocker and it lets hammer down u can just pull triggger and shott wiht first rouond on d/a and the rest on single action or simply pull the hammer back and start at single wich d/a action pull will, be a heavier trigger pull