Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 JUST BAUGHT 6.5X50 JAP. >

JUST BAUGHT 6.5X50 JAP.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

JUST BAUGHT 6.5X50 JAP.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:18 PM

Default JUST BAUGHT 6.5X50 JAP.

Does anyone have one or know any info on them.
I just noticed that the ammo is a bit pricey.
I paid a bit over 120 dollars for it.
Its actually in very nice shape and is sporterized with a very attractive stock.
I like this little rifle and want to use it as a shooter.
IfI reloaded with this round, how much money couldI save?
I really dont like the thaught of the ammo costing 1/3 rd of whatI payed for the gun.
What options do I have?

Old 03-24-2006, 05:05 PM

Default RE: JUST BAUGHT 6.5X50 JAP.

Hornady makes some ammo for it in their custom line. I usually only see it at Graf and Sons. Here is a link. http://www.grafs.com/browse/164/410 They have brass for it too if you reload. Here is the link for it. http://www.grafs.com/metallic/705 I would get the rifle checked out by a good gunsmith before firing it, especially if it was one of the later made ones.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:37 PM

Thank you very much american. I am going to take it to a gunsmith Tuesday and I will have him check the gun over with a fine tooth comb.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot one and one of my friend hunts with it. He has taken a lot of deer with his rifle. His father brought it back after the war. Yes the ammo is extrememly expensive. It doesn't seem to be the kind of gun that you would want to shoot a lot. So I don't see the ammo cost being that big of a factor.

Tom
Old 03-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 6.5X50mm is one of the first cartridges I ever reloaded for, and it is a very nice round-quiet, low recoil, accurate, and effective far beyond its' paper ballistics!

You can save money by reloading, of course, provided you don't invest an arm and a leg in equipment! The best prices for equipment are on e-Bay! All you need to start with is a set of 6.5X50 dies, a single-stage press, and a powder scale plus a pound of powder, 100 primers, a couple of boxes of brass, and a box of .264" bullets. If you could find a Lyman 310 tong tool with dies for that round, that'd take care of both the press and die set. I still use my 310 set I bought for the 6.5 JAP in 1961, and used it most recently to load up some 6.5X54mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer rounds-they're almost identical except for length.

BTW, pre-WWIIvintage 6.5X50 Arisaka rifles arethe STRONGEST BOLT ACTION MILITARY RIFLES ever manufactured!!