Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I am trying to decide on a new rifle. >

I am trying to decide on a new rifle.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I am trying to decide on a new rifle.

Old 03-19-2006, 04:24 PM

Default I am trying to decide on a new rifle.

Hi, I am new to the forum, and I live in San Antonio, Texas. I do hunt in Mexico and in south Texas, I mostly hunt Whitetail, and hogs. But I do have a question. My budget would have to be anything under $700. My caliber would have to be either .300Winchester or WSM, and 7mm Winchester, or of course WSM. If there are any more calibers in which I should consider for Whitetail you can name them here. I have not made up my mind YET, but I have narrowed my search to the Tikka T3. What do you think is the best rifle for whitetail under $700?

EDIT: I get mixed up with Remington and Winchester, even though Remington doesn't make .300 cartridges.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I am trying to decide on a new rifle.

Firstly I am not sure what you are talking about when you mention 300remington.Remington produces a 300saum and the 300ultramag but nothing called the 300remington.As far as rifles go.you would be hard pressed to find a better rifle than the t-3 for the price.If you are going to hunt onlywhitetails the 25-06 would be a great choice.If at some point elk or moose are in the picture,I would go for the 7mmremmag.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:53 PM

I like the Tikka for the money, but there is also the Weatherby Vanguard. I also hunt elk so I think a 7mm would do well. I like the smooth action on the Tikka, and the weight. But I can also consider lower calibers as well.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since there is no 7mmwinchester and the 7mmwsm is not selling well at all,the 7mmremmag would be the logical choice in the 7mms.It does a fine job on both deer and elk.The vanguard is also a good rifle for the money andsince it is actually a howa 1500 with the weatherby name stamped on it,the howa 1500is obviouslya good buy as well.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:04 PM

personally, a savage in 30-06.......I love the accu-trigger, I'm thinking about getting a savage in .223 for varmints
Old 03-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

For strictly whitetail deer and hogs I wouldn't look to any of the magnums. Yes they are very effective deer medicine they aren't going to kill deer any deader than other "standard" cartridges.

My choices would include the .243 winchester, 6mm Remington, 257 roberts, 25-06, 6.5X55 Sweed, 270 Winchester, 7mm-08, 7mm Mauser, 280 Remington. The .270 and 25-06 would be at the top of my list with the .270 being my first choice.

The Tikka rifles have never floated my boat at all. I much prefer the vanguard/ Howa rifles over the Tikkas. Howas are built with some very good features and are solid as a tank.

Howa has teamed up with Leupold this year and are offering scoped packages with VX-1 scoped already installed. This package should come in under your $700 budget easily and should be right about the $600 mark at most retail stores.
http://legacysports.com/newproducts/index.htm
Old 03-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

I would look at getting a 270 or 270WSM both are great deer calibers and wont break the bank to shoot or have much kick.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:03 PM

First, are you a handloader and how abundant is the ammunition in the area for the cartridge you want. Can you go to any sporting goods store or walmarts and get the ammo if your in a pinch. If it is no then I would consider somethig you can. I would go with something in the .30 caliber range. It is hard to beat a good 30-06 for all around use. If you desire extra speed and range you can always order some of Hornady's light magnum ammo. If you look at some of the ballistics of different cartridges once they get out to a certain range, the difference in ft. lbs. and velocity is is not really that big. In the hands of a good shot, any cartridge can be deadly. You have to know and be able to handle the caliber and cartridge you choose. If you cant shoot a magnum accurately, why have it.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you cant shoot a magnum accurately, why have it.
Of course it is a fact thatsome people can shoot magnums much more accurately than someother people can shoot non magnums.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:31 PM

Has anyone heard of the Savage 16-LZ? It is suppossed to be $699, and is a (.284) Lazzeroni cartridge. Lazzeroni's balistics are suppossed to be better than Weatherby's. If anyone has heard or owns one please share some info.

Quick Reply: I am trying to decide on a new rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.