HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Dedicated Rifled Slug Guns... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/135661-dedicated-rifled-slug-guns.html)

jcchartboy 03-07-2006 06:52 PM

Dedicated Rifled Slug Guns...

As many of the members here that know me are aware, I have lived and hunted in shotgun only areas for most of my life. For that reason I have always spent a great deal of time researching dedicated slug guns and sabot ammunitionsto ensure I was able to get the best performance out of my guns that was possible in light of the regulatory restrictions that were in place in my hunting areas.

Over the years I have owned and shot numerous slug guns. All the while I always had a gun or two that I wished I could own in the future. After having my original rifled slug gun, (a Browning A-bolt Shotgun purchased brand new for 485$)lost in an unfortunate incident, I eventually settled on a Savage 210 as my go to gun for my hunting needs.

While theSavagecertainly met my "needs" I have always had two other guns thatI felt I simply had to own some day should the possibility arise.

Since thiswill bemy 1000th post on this board, I felt that it would be goodtime to share the fact that after all these years of waiting and searching I am fortunate enough to have finally gathered a small personal collection of what I generally have consider to be the top three dedicated rifled slug guns available. It took me alot of time and energy to finally own all three guns but it makesshooting themall the more enjoyable!

Top......Browning A-bolt Rifled Shotgun 12Ga

Middle...Tar-Hunt Mountaineer RSG 20GA

Bottom..Savage Slug Warrior 21012GA

Soilarch 03-07-2006 07:02 PM

RE: Dedicated Rifled Slug Guns...

Sooo....for the rest of us living in no-rifle land, can you give us the ups and downs of each?

It gets me by, but I'm not all that crazy about my 870 w/cantilever rifled barrel.

Bowflex 03-07-2006 07:51 PM

Very nice, you can't beat the devastating power of a slug.
I am guessing by the Tar-Hunt that you are a big fan of Lightfield Slugs too.
I shoot a Remington LT-20 with the Hybrid EXP's, 3 rounds in a ragged hole at 50 yards, 1-1/2" at 100.

jcchartboy 03-08-2006 04:29 PM

Soilarch,

For all intensive purposes all three rifles will do the same job at 100-150yds. In fact the shooter will be the weakest link in the system in most cases.

Due to the fact that the Brownings are no longer produced they are now a collectors item and the pricing for the guns reflects that fact.

The Tar Hunt's are full custom guns made with top of the line components including a Mcmillan custom stock. The price is very similar to that of a corresponding custom produced rifle.

The Savage on the other hand is a current production gun and sells for a very reasonable cost (about 400$ new). This gun would certainly by my recomendation for any hunter looking at a dedicated slug gun.

Let me know if you would like any specific info on any of the guns.

JC

Wolf651 03-08-2006 06:59 PM

That Tar hunt gun is very nice. I have a Browning A-5 (12ga.) with a smooth bore slug barrel that shoots 1" groups at 50yrds and 1 1/2" at 100yds. It's consider a reallygreat slug gun by others with that kind of groups in a smooth bore barrel. I've had that gun for some years now and want to retire it and maybe get me a Tar hunt in 12 ga. I've been saving money to get one. I'm half way there, Maybe by the end of the year I'll save enough and get me one.

jcchartboy- What kind of groups did you get on the Tar hunt? What brands of ammos does it like? Those are some sweet slug guns you have but I like the Tar hunt the best.

jcchartboy 03-08-2006 07:20 PM

Thanks Wolf,

Although I purchased the Tar-Hunt a few months ago I justpicked it up from my dealer two weeks ago. I have been doing extensive load testing and range work on my muzzleloaderfor an upcominghuntnext month, soI have not even had a chance to scope the gun yet, let alone a range test...

Once you begin discusing guns of this caliber the accuracy really becomes acedemic. The reality is most of these guns are more accurate than the shooter pulling the trigger.

It is for that reason that aesthetics and "feel" become so important in these guns. Having owned three different A-bolt shotguns I expected the Tar-hunt to handle in a similar manner. I could not have been more wrong!

In my opinion what really what makes the Tar-hunt is the Mcmillan stock. From the forearm design, to the cheek piece, right down to the integrated palm swell, I have never handled a smoother, faster pointing gun in my life. It really is a work of "art" if you will.

As far as shells...no, I don't shoot Lightfields. The Lightfieldsreally are at the bootom of the pack when compared to today modern sabot slugs.

I currently shoot the Remington Core Lokts in my Savage, although I have been testing the Hornady SST's as well lately. Based on my initial results I believe the Core Lokts are still the best slugs for that gun. They will also be my first choice when testing the Tar Hunt.

Mike Hill 03-09-2006 08:49 AM

WELL THANKS A LOT JC
I was just feeling good about my gun colledtion and now there are 2 more guns I want to get. The wife is haveing a fit now I was in the cellar doing my monthly oil rag wipe down of my guns and she came down to do laundry (she never saw my gun safe open) and freaked out saying what in the world do you need that many guns for are you planning a war. So I explanded the Ted Kennedy philosiphy how people could play golf with just one club but each club has a different job. She kind of bought it but now I got to explane to her that I need a couple more clubs......Mike

Paul L Mohr 03-09-2006 03:39 PM

Love my H&R as well.

If I would have had the money though I think I would have gotten the savage. I did look at one.

Paul

jcchartboy 03-09-2006 05:50 PM

Paul,

I agree that the H&R's are great guns. However they clearly fall into the "utility" category of the market.

I would be the first to agree that they will likely shoot comparably with any of the guns mentioned above. Unfortunately that is where the comparisons stop. Relatively speaking they handle poorly, are far too heavy, and lackany distinctive charectoristics that would make them unique.

That being said, they are perhaps the finest dedicated shotguns on the market for any hunter looking for a purely functional gun. In fact if I were just starting in the sport it would most likely be my first purchase for whitetail hunting in a shotgun only area.

The reality is the H&R's are simply designed for a different purpose then the guns mentioned above. (Although admittedly one can easily make the case that the Savage is designed in a similar manner)

My point being...what attracted me to these three guns mentioned above is their abilty to be well designed functional guns, but also the ability of their designers to makethem equally asappealling aesthetically. Surprisingly, one might think that the A-bolt would be at the top in this group, however the Tar Hunt is so far ahead of the A-bolt in overall handling and appeal it is almost unbelievable. I will be the first to admit I was skeptical that the Tar-Hunt could be as unique as I had been lead to believe, yet as soon I picked it up for the first time Irealized it reallywas leagues aboveall other dedicated slug guns I have ever handled.

JC

hubel458 03-09-2006 06:22 PM

I'm new visiter here--First picture is my 12GA From Hell
slug gun, The most powerful Savage ever built,11,900 ft lbs.
And it still fires regular plastic shotgun shells
inour long chamber.Ed.