Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New Tikka-What Ammo? >

New Tikka-What Ammo?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Tikka-What Ammo?

Old 03-03-2006, 03:48 PM

Default New Tikka-What Ammo?

Tomorrow, I am picking up my new Tikka T3 30.06 and was wondering what ammo has been shooting well out of these guns. I have had very good luck with Federal Premium 165 grain Sierra Boat Tails in other rifles, but I am interested in what has been working well for everyone else.

I am hunting Whitetails in New England with a pretty short range. I usually site-in at 1" high 100 yards and 150 yard shots are rare.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Tikka-What Ammo?

Well my T-3 is a 25-06 but mine loves 117gr Hornady sp bullets Best. It also shoots Sierra Gamekings very accurately. I didn't really find anything that it shot poorlyjust some better than others. That said however, it has been my experience that what type of ammo a rifle likes best can vary a lot even with guns of the same make, model and caliber. Invest in a good cross section of different types and then go have some fun at the range. With a Tikka you won't have to look real hard to find something it shoots well. And if 150 yards is about the max range you will have to shoot at game then I doubt there is a factory cartridge out there that wouldn't make at least the acceptable accuracylist for your Tikka.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:18 PM

Todd is right. Your Tikka will shoot just about anything accurate to 150 yards. I have a 7mm-08 T3 Light. It does shoot some loads better then others, but none out of a 2" target in 150 yards.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:21 PM

VT that load you mentioned (Fed Pre 165 BoT) is just about the "gold standard" for a 30/06 shot at deer. There are better peforming bullets out there but I seriously doubt many are gonna be any more accurate. You stick that bullet in the boiler room of anything short of a PO'd brownbear and the only thing left to do is get out the skinnin knife!

As for my recommendations, I have two 06s and have used ALOT of everything (including handloads) in them and I am now solidly stuck on the Fed Prem Vital Shock 180 Barnes Triple Shocks. They will shoot VERY well and there isn't a breathing animal this side of the Continental Divide that will stop them from going out the backdoor! I also like the Federal Prem and Winch Supreme Accubonds. They are very accurate and will penetrate deeply as well.

Accuracy wise remember, Tikka's carry a 1MOA @ 100yds 3 shot guarantee on them. Unless you put extemely poor ammo in them, the Tikka's will shoot much like their big brothers from Sako!
RA
Old 03-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used Winchester (Premium) Supreme "Fail Safe" in my Tikka T3 .300 WM. I'm thinking of trying the same Winchester Premium ammo with Nosler Accubond slug this year. I definitely recommend if you're shooting over 150 yards to use the best ammo that will give you more consistent patterns in whatever rifle you use.

Some ammo will shoot better than other of same bullet gr and type for whatever reason (e.g. type of powder, manufacturing tolerances, etc.)

The Fail Safe Winchester ammo shoots consistently from a bench rest for me at 100 and 200 yds. in this rifle with good quality scope at the 1 MOA. It's stopped Elk in their tracks for me on several occasions.

I'm only thinking of trying the Nosler Accubond, both because I've heard a lot of folks recommend, the boattail slug seems to give very good flat trajectory/accurate shotfarther out and I like the look of how the slug holds together and expands.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the feed back guys, it was very helpful.

I got it home today and am itching to shoot it. I've read the owner's manual cover to cover three times already.(well...the English portions anyway)

I shot a deer coming at me last year and although it didn't go too far, the bullet didn't exit and it was hard to track in the loose leaves. So I was looking to maybe move up a 180 grains andthe Barnes information from Red peaked my interest.

I've also heard great things about Nosler Bullets. It was nice to see others have hadsome successwith this round. I'm looking forward to giving a few ofthem a ride.

I hadn't heard much on the Winchester’s, I'll be reading up on those and trying a few of them out as well.

Thanks again!

Old 03-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

couple of the guys at the club bought tikkas in 270 wsm they are doing real well with winchester supreme ammo.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a T3 30-06 S/B last summer. The ammo I tried prior to the hunting season was:

Federal 165 grain Sierra Game King
Federal 165 grain High Energy Trophy Bonded Bear Claw
Remington 180 grain Core Lokt
Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt
Hornady 165 grain BTSP

I had the most consistent performance from the Hornady ammo. That said, I went with a heavier bullet as I was trying to find something that I could use for whitetailed deer, Moose and Caribou.

Good luck,
Old 03-18-2006, 09:14 PM

I use Remington 150 gr Core-Lokt in my 30-06 for deer and 180 gr for elk. The 180's shoot about an inch higher at 100 yards than the 150's. These bullets have performed great for me over the years. Almost all shots exit on deer and most on elk. Very few (three total) have got out of sight after being hit, and they didn't go far.