Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 tack drivers&one hole groups >

tack drivers&one hole groups

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

tack drivers&one hole groups

Old 02-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default tack drivers&one hole groups

There appears to be many people that use the terms "tack driver" or "one hole groups" when describing their rifles accuracy.I find the terms humourous and have to laugh aloud; as how many of these people have actually driven tacks with their rifle,and do they really expect us tobelieve that all of their bullets pass through the same hole?Come on guys,when you describing accuracy,use real descriptions such as actual group sizes and yardages.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: tack drivers&one hole groups

I often wonder this also stubble. When you hear people that say they do it with a 710 and a 30 dollar scope and say they shoot one ragged hole I dont see it. I can keep it under an inch and thats with a rem sendero 300rumand a ziess so 1200 dollarsetup and I cant get it to shoot as good as most peoples 300 dollar guns boy did I get takenI have had a few 3 shot groupsunder .5 out of the sendero but most around .75 to 1.0 which ain't bad but its not driveing tacks imo.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:32 AM
bigcountry

I once tried driving tacks but just messed up the tack witha 22.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I once tried driving tacks but just messed up the tack witha 22.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:00 PM

When I hear someone say that they have a tack driver, I assume that they are referring to a gun that shoots "very" accurate for them.(I never really thought they meant that they were shooting tacks) I have a savage 110 in 30-06 that I, at 150 yardscan acheive subMOA groups. However, I have never seenANYONE put a bullet in the same hole,and I probally wouldn't believe them if they said that they did. Even to get ragged 1 hole groups would bean almost impossible task. It is hard for me to believe someone, if they told me that they could put 5 shots in the same hole at 100 yards. ButI have put a whole box of 20 rounds out of the savage 110 inside a quarter at 156 yards. This was with a steady rest and a $200.00 scope. This is not exactly driving tacks or putting the bullets in the same hole, but I think that its pretty decent shooting. At least thats what the 15 or so other memberssaid when they seen me do it.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: bigiron

I often wonder this also stubble. When you hear people that say they do it with a 710 and a 30 dollar scope and say they shoot one ragged hole I dont see it. I can keep it under an inch and thats with a rem sendero 300rumand a ziess so 1200 dollarsetup and I cant get it to shoot as good as most peoples 300 dollar guns boy did I get takenI have had a few 3 shot groupsunder .5 out of the sendero but most around .75 to 1.0 which ain't bad but its not driveing tacks imo.
You no what is justas humourous...Is that people feel the need to brag about there $1200 setup's and downgrade a guy you buys a 710 and a $30 scope. IMO it's the shooter more than the price of the gun.And only the first shot counts
Old 02-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

i have noticed the same about some of the post on hear and the one hole grouping guns i ahve spent lots of hours at the sand bags wiht my rem 700 7mmag and best ive ever gotten was 2 shots were partily going trought same hole and thats it, if everyone could do 3 shot one ragged hole groups then wiht 300 dollar guns then there would be no need for custom accurized rifles trigger jobs and ext im twich im not saying those chaper guns are junk b/c i own a few chaeper guns savage H&R and i love those guns expiscaly b/c they ddint break the bank but never seen any of those guns out shhot remington 700's or buddy of mines weatherby and another thing is the ammo most of the one hole groups stuff ya see in books is a cooked up hand load not factorey ammo
Old 02-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

You no what is justas humourous...Is that people feel the need to brag about there $1200 setup's and downgrade a guy you buys a 710 and a $30 scope. IMO it's the shooter more than the price of the gun.And only the first shot counts
Price does not guarantee accuracy,but even the best shooter in the world isn't going to be able to shoot 1/2" groups with a 2" gun and loads.As for only the first shot counting,that is true,but the more accurate the gun,the higher the odds of the first shot hitting where it was intended.The same goes for scopes.That $30 scope is not as nearlyclear or bright as a quality scope which does influence the ability to place your shots,especially in poor light.As well that $30 scope is much more likely to not hold zero.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:03 PM

I agree on the scope thing .....I tried the cheaper scopes and they don't hold up well at atleast not the ones i bought. I guess i was speaking more pesonally than anything on the gun . I have the cheaper Weatherby Vanguard and think the gun shoots great my friend has a high dollar Rem and I honestly don't see the difference we both hit what we are aiming at. But I could buy another Vanguard and still have less than he has in his Rem. It's all just opinion's anyway
Old 02-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think one needs to spend $2000 - $3000 on a rifle and more than $1000 on a scope to get superb accuracy.

Mostly those are folks who might have their first Cadillac, BMW or Mercedes and make sure everyone within earshot knows they're driving it. (But they don't mention the fact that it'sa Caddy CTS, Beemer 323 or Mercedes 230). Blow hards - real hard.

Money don't make the man and money certainly don't make amarksman!

I can't tell you how many times we've been out shooting some clay and I'm asked what that old thing is I'm shooting. When asked if they want to give er a ride thay are always amazed at how well they shoot that old Stevens 94 wrapped in camo tape. Most shoot it much better than their prizedbabies.

I always laugh at guys who show up with beautifully finished stocks on their guns and cry when they get a little scratch on it hunting. Same guys who seem to like to get a big old super heavy duty diesel 4X4,don't even have a trailer to pull with it andcan't possibly get it dirty, let alone muddy. File them in the "All Talkers" or "Hot Air" crowd. LOL

As to a gun being refered to as "tack driver", all that means is that you slightly push a thumbtack in - and finish it with one shot. Of course there's nothing left.

As to one hole groupings, don't blame me,I was brought up taught to not waste. Putting them all in the same hole saves paper and trees.

Quick Reply: tack drivers&one hole groups

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.