HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   .243 barrel twist?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/132435-243-barrel-twist.html)

Duckbutter48 02-11-2006 02:38 PM

RE: .243 barrel twist??

Rebel Hog thx for that post. It was very informative.

Those are some of the important details that are usually overlooked by most is the 270 is better then the 30 06 conversations.

game4lunch 02-11-2006 03:58 PM

WOW! Right when I thought I had "barrel twist dislexia . . . "
I think I get it. For some unknown scienticic balistical reason, more twist will unstabalize lighter (shorter) bullets and at the same time, provide proper twist and accuracy for the heavier (longer) bullet.

An exceptional breakdown fellas . . . thanking you.

retrieverman 02-11-2006 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

I could see myself shooting 200 - 300 times/day.
Are you a reloader? If not, you had better get a second job and maybe even a second gun for that kind of volume.

Roskoe 02-11-2006 04:51 PM

I don't think there is such a thing as too much twist causing a bullet to become unstable. What happens sometimes is that the light fast bullet jams into the rifling of a fast twist barrel and strips a bit of jacket material in the process - causing accuracy deterioration.

Also, an "overstabilized" bullet does not travel through the air on its axis at long range - in other words, it maintains its upward angle on long shots such that it strikes the target at long range with the bullet nose still at the same upward angle as when it left the muzzle. This causes increased drag on the bullet at long range and will produce oblong bullet holes on long range paper targets - suggesting that the bullet is unstable, but actually unable to stay on its path gyroscopically because of the faster-than-ideal twist.Hope this makes sense? Roskoe

Rebel Hog 02-11-2006 05:04 PM

Bullet Length and Barrel Twist Rates

Your rifle calibre dictates the diameter of the bullet you must use. Similarly, the rate of twist dictates the length of the bullet that must be used. Selecting a bullet by weight, rather than length, makes as much sense as choosing a pair of shoes by weight rather than shoe size. See the International standards of bore and groove diameters and twist rates.

Duckbutter48 02-11-2006 05:05 PM

Yes it does Roskoe(I think) kinda like a football pass where if the ball has an upward angle on the way up and then the tip starts to drop on the way down so it would be less likely to affected by the air around it and goes longer and is more accurate. Instead of a ball that comes down like a punt where the nose stays up the whole time it drops which makes it lose distance quicker and kinda wobble.

Is that anywhere close to right?

Roskoe 02-11-2006 09:51 PM

10-4 good buddy.