Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AK-47 ???

Old 02-04-2006, 10:02 AM

Default RE: AK-47 ???

I had a Saiga in the 7.62x39 chambering. I was not very happy with it all. I traded it to a buddy for a .22 marlin and some paint ball stuff. I only paid around 200 bucks for it though. If I had it to do over again I would get a High Point carbine in 9mm. They have that bad ass look and from what I hear work reasonably well.

I got the scope mount with my siaga and put a bushnell 3-9 on it. I don't know why, it couldn't hit the side of barn from inside the barn! Maybe it was just mine though? The triggers are very nasty as well. I took it apart and touched it up a little, still very heavy but it took some of the gritty feeling out of it.

The AK's will almost never missfire though. If it does it is probably an ammo problem. This action was made to be abused. I never had any trouble with my SKS either in that department. And with good ammo it was fiarly accurate.

For what I paid for my Siaga I got a H&R Ultra Slug gun in 12 ga. MUCH better weapon for the same money. It only fires one shot, but it goes right where I want it and does much more damage. Not to mention I could throw a turkey load in it if I wanted it for home defense. I think once they saw the barrel on that sucker though they would most likely give up.

I have never owned an AR, but have friends that do and you will be much happier with it then any of the low end assualt rifle offerings. It just cost more up front is all, but then most decent guns do. And they are sort of like a 10/22, the sky is the limit as far as what you can do to them.

Paul
Old 02-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

The AK's I have a respect for were Russian made in the 7.62 short. Lets face it. Some shooters like these. I was in Kansas City recently and I had a chance to look at some made from various countries. There is quite a difference in the quality depending on the manufacturer. Short of a sniper version we took off an Iraqui, (ooh, nice piece with scope!) I see them as basically anti-personnel pieces, but you could hit deer just as easy. The one thing I really don't like is the long banana clip. Keeps your head up too high for target signature.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

If you want to add an AK-47 to your collection look for a Russian, Egyptian or Bulgarian made in V.G. condition. Well posters are right about the AK being far from a tack driver it beats the heck out of an M-16 as a military combat weapon where reliability and simplicity are the key.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:16 PM

I dont know about the import laws, but a place here in Canada can get you about any kind of gun you want including an AK. they actually haveCzech VZ-58 a AK-47 look-a-likeright now. if you want check this site out at http://www.marstar.ca/gf-VZ-58/VZ-58S.shtm.

personaly i think an AR-15 would be better, or if your on a budget get an SKS, i have an sks it shoots way better than an AK it also uses the same ammo and the price tag is a lot lower.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

If you are just plinking almost anything will do... Having said that if you really want a gun that will blow your socks off look at some of the AR variants that are set up for varminting... Bull Barrels, floated, low mounted optics rails, etc.

My Rock River Arms Varminter will shoot better than any other gun I own... 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards easy!!! I have 3 sakos, 2 kimbers, a few rem 700, a browning a-bolt, etc. None will even come close... One hellava fun gun to shoot. Also .223 ammo is super cheap and can be found anywhere... My gun will shoot withe 1/2 inch accuracy with the cheap blue box Black Hills ammo!!! No reloading necessary!
Old 02-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing to think of- 7.62x39 ammo is in very short supply these days.