HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Big Game Handgun - Got the Bug - HELP (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/131553-big-game-handgun-got-bug-help.html)

Rammer 02-02-2006 09:51 PM

Big Game Handgun - Got the Bug - HELP

Well guys, for some reason I haven't been craving buying a new gun in a while (in fact its been a year), and this is highly unlike me (I'm gonna be 23 next month) and I have 20 some guns at the moment.

I decided that I really wanted to get a deer hunting/personal defense revolver (from bears, mt lions, etc). I want to be able to shoot 50 yards (or more if possible), be fairly lightweight and easy to carry, and pack good punch. I think I'm gonna stick to the 44mag unless someone can talk me out of it for something different.

Here is what I'm leaning towards at the moment. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=811&return=Y

All info/suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated in this matter. I have numerous handguns in my stash, and shoot them all very well. Will the above gun be a good shooter? I will handload all my cartridges and shoot it quite often.

North Texan 02-02-2006 10:17 PM

RE: Big Game Handgun - Got the Bug - HELP

Do you feel lucky, punk?............Well, do ya?[8D]

For personal-defense, most people would probably lean for a double action. But people used single actions for years with no problems, and you aren't going to want to shoot deer in double-action mode anyway. I don't see why it wouldn't work, so I say go for it. A longer barrel will give you a little more sight radius, which makes shooting accurately at longer ranges a little easier, so keep that in mind.

Rammer 02-02-2006 10:22 PM

HEHEHE

"The worlds most powerful handgun....." well not so much anymore, but if it was good enuf for Dirty Harry, its gotta be good enuf for me.

I figure the chance of me ever running into a bear or a mt. lion is slim to none, so I'm not too worried about the DA. I really really like the looks of that Ruger SA, do they make the same gun with a 6 1/2" barrel? I do not seem to see one on their website. Then again the "44 flattop" is back out, but its not as good looking in my opinion.

And if a bear ever decides to eat me, I can empty the 6 shooter into its skull and then reach for my XD 40 Tactical and if that fails, guess it was nice knowing all you guys! hehe

HighDesertWolf 02-03-2006 12:57 AM

if i was in your shoes id think about looking at a ruger super redhawk in 454 casull comes in i believe a 7 inch barrel and 9 inch barrel. I had a taurus raging bull in 454 that 454 casull packs one heck of a wallop. at 100 yards the 454 casull has more energy and velocity then a 44 mag has at the muzzle one of those in the skull of a bear should bring it down easily. Right now I have a ruger blackhawk in 44 mag its seems so pukey compared to the 454 casull I need to get another one when i do its gonna be a ruger super redhawk.

James B 02-03-2006 01:50 AM

You can't gowrong with any Ruger 44 Mag. I would also stay with the 44 Mag.

Knightia 02-03-2006 05:10 AM

Are ya going to scope it?

Got a ss/super blackhawk unfluted cylinder^ plain barrel( never use it much)

Got a ss/ reg. redhawk to use that a lot( havent hunted with it tho)- it came with rings but i havnt mounted a scope...... yet.

Ussally carry a sp101 357 mag(alot smaller/lighter to carry around to)) in case any big kittys, bigfoot, 2 legged varmits etcjump me when im wakingin the rocks etc :D

I Like them rugers

eldeguello 02-03-2006 06:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Rammer

Well guys, for some reason I haven't been craving buying a new gun in a while (in fact its been a year), and this is highly unlike me (I'm gonna be 23 next month) and I have 20 some guns at the moment.

I decided that I really wanted to get a deer hunting/personal defense revolver (from bears, mt lions, etc). I want to be able to shoot 50 yards (or more if possible), be fairly lightweight and easy to carry, and pack good punch. I think I'm gonna stick to the 44mag unless someone can talk me out of it for something different.

Here is what I'm leaning towards at the moment. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=811&return=Y

All info/suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated in this matter. I have numerous handguns in my stash, and shoot them all very well. Will the above gun be a good shooter? I will handload all my cartridges and shoot it quite often.
You won't go wrong with that Ruger, nor with a .44 Magnum! You could also use the .45 Colt in that same revolver, and the Ruger will stand some pretty stiff .45 Colt loads-like a 250-grain Keith semi-wadcutter at 1200 FPS, which will kill anything in North America...... But of course, you can get full-power .44 Mag. ammo almost anywhere.

IMO, your requirement for a relatively light handgun rules out the Ruger Super Redhawk-those ponderous things should be issued with wheels and a pintle hook for towing!! But the 5-shot Taurus Raging Bull .454 is not too heavy, and the recoil is very tolerable due to the porting and shock-absorbing grips. Mine is as accurate as any Colt or Ruger.

buckhtr77 02-03-2006 10:33 AM

The S&W 500 in 8 3/8. I've shot the 10.5 (My father bought one)model and they're not that bad. Shoot it with Hornady's and never look back.

biscuit jake 02-03-2006 07:16 PM

Rammer, I think your Ruger is a good choice. Just a bit lighter and handier than a non fluted super blackhawk, but you won't sacrifice much. Strong action and fun to shoot. And if you can't kill it in six 44 maggie rounds, (ee-yi!) you need a new hobby!

whelen36 02-03-2006 07:36 PM

the ruger blackhawk in .44 mag. will be a great choice and should handle all of your hunting and personal protection needs, a .454 is a great choice too but i don't see to much ammo around for it around where i'm from , and it's probably pretty pricy ( just guessing for my area , might be cheap and plentiful where you are ). .44 mag ammo isn't very expensive at all , and i personally think that the .454 cusull is a tad bit overkill for personal protection from the two legged variety if you know what i mean. :):)
whelen36