HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-58/)
-   -   question about hunting handguns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/131325-question-about-hunting-handguns.html)

geterdun 02-01-2006 03:19 PM

question about hunting handguns

hello,
i have a question about proper handguns for use in deer hunting. I heard that 357, 44 mag and a few others, but do yall have any other suggestion for a legal deer hunting handgun. I live in MD. Is it legal to use a semi auto? if so, please suggest a few of those - b/c i like semis alot more. I just have no idea of what type to get for hunting deer? please guide me along. thanks a million

mule4025 02-01-2006 03:34 PM

RE: question about hunting handguns

Here in Illinois, you can't use a semi auto. I personally use a 357 smith and wesson 6" barrel. I have had great luck with it. Check your states DNR page and it will tell you of what is legal and then make a decision of what gun to use. I like the revolvers.

Hairtrigger 02-01-2006 03:48 PM

In Ohio the barrel must be 6" or longer.
I plan on purchasing an aftermarket 6" barrel for my Glock 20

geterdun 02-01-2006 04:03 PM

HAIRTRIGGER,
im taking it that your glock 20 is a semiauto? it is legal for you to use a semiauto? i hope so, i also hope it is legal in MD b/c im lookin for a good hunting handgun now. Any suggestions?

Hairtrigger 02-01-2006 04:31 PM

Ohio requires that the bullet meet or exceed certain diameter and 6" barrel or more.
Semi auto is fine.
Look for a website for your state. Mine is OhioDNR.ORG for CORRECT answers

ncdukker 02-01-2006 05:34 PM

All states are pretty much the same. It all depends on foot pounds of energy the bullet produces at a certain distance. Most states limit the use of semi autos because the majority of them do not meet the requirements. You may also run into the requirement for a certain barrel length as described above by other members. Not trying to sell my piece but I have a Ruger 44 for sale on here that fits the bill for any state and with the Hornady 300 grain XTP will put down any North American animal with a well placed shot. I like the 44 because you can get a wide variety of ammo forit depending on what you are hunting. Normally I use 240 grain for deerbut when bear hunting or hog hunting I like the 300 grain for a little more thump and stopping power. The 454 is a nice round as is the 480 if hunting deer with some size like 200 pound plus under 200 I think they are too big. The 500 is a bit much in my opinion for deer but a great back up piece if hunting bear or bigfoot. Just keep in mind you are just getting the opinions of other hunters and shooters and when it comes down to getting a handgun for hunting find out what is legal in your area from the DFG and then find what feels good to you and one that you can shoot accurately. Pistol hunting is not easy and takes time to get the hang of it.

jax6785 07-14-2009 05:07 PM

well in ohio the caliber has to be has to be 357 or larger and using only straight walled cartridges wit a barrel minimum length of 5 inches. i would go with a 44 mag they will surely knock down what your hunting.hope this was helpful