Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
WD-40 for Guns? >

WD-40 for Guns?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WD-40 for Guns?

Old 10-19-2002, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default WD-40 for Guns?

Anyone ever use WD-40 for cleaning your gun or protecting it from rust? Does it work very well?

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs
Old 10-19-2002, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WD-40 for Guns?

It gets gummy and attracts dirt and dust which can lead to corrosion. Use a good quality gun oil like RemOil or Birchwood Casey Sheath (love the smell of the stuff) for protecting the metal. There are some other good protectants out there though I haven't used them yet.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 10-19-2002, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use CLP, also known as Break-Free in the civilian world. CLP stands for Cleaner-Lubricant-Preservative. It can be used for all stages of firearms cleaning and maintenance as implied by the name. The nice thing about CLP is that it can and should be applied in very small amounts just to cover a surface. It will then dry and "cure" to the surface leaving a protective film that lubricates (it's teflon based) and prevents rust. And since it's almost dry, it doesn't attract dust and dirt.

I was introduced to CLP in the Marine Corps. CLP was the only (authorized) cleaner that we could use on our M16A2's, and a little bottle was always kept in the buttstock cleaning pouch. I never had a problem with rust on my rifle, and it had several spots on the barrel that were worn down to the bare metal.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Muzzleloading- Once you go black, you'll never go back!!
Old 10-19-2002, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Use a good gun solvent and gun oil! Notice the word "gun" in front of solvent and oil! Using WD-40 or other cleaners can damage your gun!
Old 10-19-2002, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Save the WD-40 for the tool shed. The stuff will actually form a shellac in your action that is tough to remove. I have had to work on several guns that had problems from WD-40 and compared to a $40 bench fee, a can of good gun oil is cheap.

Edited by - frizzellr on 10/19/2002 18:31:28
Old 10-19-2002, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with the others that don't like WD-40. IMO it doesn't belong in the same room with a firearm.
I saw a instance were it looked like it actually attracted moisture.
Everything it was on was rusty.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:35 PM

Watched a seminar from a guy selling Terra Gun Products today. He said the worest thing you put on your gun is wd-40. It will cause more harm than good.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:18 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-20-2002, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

NEVER USE WD-40 ON GUNS!! Use Break-Free for lubrication, and either Birchwood-Casey Sheath or Shooter's Choice "Rust-Prevent" for short-term corrosion prevention. Use R.I.G. (Rust Inhibiting Grease) for long-term storage.

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 10-21-2002, 09:46 AM

my father used wd-40 on his guns for a long time and has had no problems what so ever with rust, or shelacks, or moisture or it gumming up. and if i have nothing else around, i will use it. having said that it is not the ideal solution but it will work in a pinch (and it sure is a lot better than nothing).

propmahn
you can never have too many guns

Quick Reply: WD-40 for Guns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.