Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Onondaga county NY CCW Permit >

Onondaga county NY CCW Permit

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Onondaga county NY CCW Permit

Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Onondaga county NY CCW Permit

I was wondering what people put down for their CCW permit in Onondaga County NY?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Onondaga county NY CCW Permit

ORIGINAL: SPIKEHORN11
I was wondering what people put down for their CCW permit in Onondaga County NY?
I was in the law enforcement business in Madison County NY for ten years from 1990 to 2000. I was in daily use of the laws regarding firearms of all kindsin the State of New York, and to the best of my knowledge, (unless the laws have changed since 2000), there is NO PROVISION in NY state lawfor any kind ofpermit to carry a concealed weapon. Each NY county's superior court judge or judges can pretty much impose his/her own philosophy on issuing a pistolpermit. And the judges in Onondaga County have always been of the opinion that only a very few people should be allowed to carry a handgun, and then mostly for hunting & target shooting only, and this restriction is stamped on the face of the permit!! In SOME NY counties, the judge just refuses to sign permits entirly, PERIOD! I recall that the judge in Cortland County was of this inclination.

NY is a MAY ISSUE,not a MUST ISSUE, state!!

Old 01-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I currently have a permit and I was wondering what I need to get the restriction taken off. I can only carry now when I am target shooting or hunting.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:12 PM

Onondaga County is a bad place to try for a CCW. I purposely waited til I moved to Clinton County to apply for my permit. When I lived in Onondaga County, the judge was refusing to sign for pistol permits all together. I still wound up with restrictions up here, (hunting, fishing, trapping , and target shooting), good thing I'm always going fishing. Joke aside, I just don't carry. The good news is up here there is a judge who is supposedly willing to take the restrictions off if I attend a CCW class with a state policeman as a trainer. I'll believe it when I see it, but it gives me a little bit of hope. My wife got hers in Oswego County and has a full carry. The only time I've seen them lift restrictions is if you intend on being employed as security and your employer petitions for you.

KEJ
Old 01-30-2006, 05:32 PM
RPL

Eldequello...I can't figure out where you got your info from. As far as I know, NY has two types of pistol permits. 1) a Premise Permit, it allows you to keep a firearm on your property (home or business)only 2) a Concealed Carry Permit, which allows you to carrya handgun concealed on your person.
It is the county administrative offices and judgesthat put the restrictions (hunting, target, etc.)on your permit, even though they are not in the NYS Penal Codepertaining to carry permits.Unfortunately, the anti-gun courts have allowed these judges to impose their bias will on permit holders in some counties.
If you are caught carrying for protection on a restricted permit, you will not be charged with a criminal offense but you can have your permit revoked.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

You may be correct, if you are talking about NYC. Their regulations are different, and I am not sure what they may be. Mine says "LICENSE TO CARRY PISTOL IS HEREBY GRANTED", so I guess the proper term is LICENSE, and not PERMIT. This phrase is part of the printing on the face of the licenseform itself. "HUNTING & TARGET" are stamped on it in ink by the issuing court judge, who also signed it.

I am talking about the PISTOL Licensesthat are issued by the County Superior Court judges OUTSIDE OF NYC. Outside ofNYC, there is only ONE KIND of license, (if you examine the Licenseapplication form, it says nothing about "premises", unless, as I said above, the laws have changed since 2000.) There is no "concealed carry" licensein the State of NY, at lest not outsideof NYC-(I cannot speak for NYC, since it isa "whole 'nuther country, LIKE TEXAS!!) I suppose one could argue that a pistol licensethat has no judge-imposed conditionstechnically permits concealed carry, since it doesn't specifically prohibit concealed carry. But unless a judge has typed "CONCEALED CARRY" on a pistol permit he signed, I defy you to show me one from NY!!

As you said,the issuing county judge can place any kind of restriction on it, or no conditions at all, at his/her discretion,that he/she wants to impose,even though the state law itself does NOT have any provisionforjudges to do this. BUT they have been doing it for years, and so far, all NY StateCourts where this challenge has been raised have decided this is legal, asyou have noted. (I suppose one of the restrictions a county judge could impose would be one that prohibits one from removing the pistol from one's "premises". So that could be considered a "premises permit". But I have never seen anyone with such a license. But again, they may exist in NYC!!

There are no other officials involved in the issuance of pistol permits outside of NYC except the county judges! In NYC, the issuing official is the Commissioner of Police rather than any judge.

I suggest you read the previous comments by chazyKEJ and SPIKE HORN. They are speasking of the realities of the pistol permit situation as I knowitinnon-NYC counties of New York.

Here's some NRA commentary on the NY situation:
"A license is needed to possess a handgun in one's home or place of business. Application is made to the licensing officer of the city or county where the applicant resides, is principally employed, or where his principal place of business as a merchant or storekeeper is located."

Yes, you DO have to have a pistol license to have one, period! In your house oranywhere else!! (Maybe this is where you got the idea of a "Premises License??) The only "licensing officers" outside of the City of NY are the county judges-no one else!!

"The licensing officer may, in his discretion, add restrictions to the license, limiting the places where the handgun may be kept or carried. No demonstration of need to possess is required to obtain an "on premises only," license valid for one's home or place of business. A demonstration of need must be shown, however, for a license not restricted to one of those locations. An on premises only license authorizes the possession of a handgun only at the location written on the license. It does not authorize the holder to take such handgun to any other place.

(It should be noted further that an on premises only license technically does not authorize the holder even to transport the handgun from its place of purchase to the location stated on the license.) So, if your license is stamped "PREMISES ONLY", you cannot legally even buy a pistol thentake it home or tothe "premises" described on the license!!

"The licensing officer may, in his discretion, add restrictions to the license, limiting the places where the handgun may be kept or carried." This is NOT in the law, and is contrary to the NY Civil Rights Law, but they do it anyway, and get away with it!!

"A license to possess a handgun serves also as a license to carry unless restricted."

If it is restricted to certain premises, then the license becomes a "PREMISESD ONLY" license! BUT IT IS NOT A SEPARATE CATEGORY OF LICENSE!! It is just a regular NY State Pistol License with restriction(s)!!

"A license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, not otherwise limited as to place or time of possession, shall be effective throughout the state, except that the license shall not be valid within the city of New York unless a special permit granting validity is issued by the police commissioner of that city."

"An applicant for a license to carry outside the home must be required to show, in addition to the requirement for possession, that proper cause exists for the issuance of a carry license, including, for example, target shooting, hunting, or self-defense." Merely saying that you plan to hunt with it is enough incounties where the judge is amenable to issuingPistol Licenses. Som are hard-others are easier to get along with!!

"A license to possess a handgun serves also as a license to carry unless restricted." So if the License has no restrictions printed on it, I suppose you can carry in any manner you want, concealed and otherwise. But this unrestrictedLicense will NOT SAY "LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN, or any other words to that effect!!

Old 02-02-2006, 04:54 PM

Eldeguello,

You are correct about it not stating concealed carry on the license. On my wife's permit, there is an issuing code C-XXXX whereas on mine they Exed out the C and changed it to an S. My understanding was that hers was issued as a "Carry", and mine was issued as a "Sporting", though I have not been able to confirm these codes. Regardless, she has no restrictions on her license and based on what you have printed above and what she has been told, she can carry concealed. That said, we are in very low crime area and she does not "carry" except to the range. Mine at least allows for hunting, fishing, trapping and target shooting; with transfer to and from, so it gets me where I need to go. I only use mine for hunting and target practice, and don't think I would carry if I had the option. But, I wish that I had the option. I may be moving back to Onondaga county in the next couple years. The nice thing is that Clinton County allows you to share guns on each others permits. I recently heard that Oswego county was going to restrict this practice.

KEJ
Old 02-03-2006, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmm. Mine doesn't have any code on it at all. Just says "HUNTING & TARGET" in rather blurry, stamped letters on the right corner......
Old 02-03-2006, 05:50 PM
RPL

A carry permit without restrictionsis by default a ccw, even if it is not offically called that. A NYS permithas nooption to allow open for carry except uniform type security work. Technically, you are not allowed to open carry even while hunting but for practical reasons it is not enforced. My permit was issued to me in 1988 from Chatuaqua Co. I had a choice on the application of to apply for either a premise or carry permit. My permit was issued without restrictions. I since switched it over to Erie County, again with no restrictions.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:12 PM

IM in Ulster County. I've had my "permit" for about 15 years. I have no restrictions. I carry 90% of the time. My son lives in Saratoga County. He tells me it's difficult to get a "full carry permit" there as well.

Quick Reply: Onondaga county NY CCW Permit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.