Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 NEF ejection issues >

NEF ejection issues

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NEF ejection issues

Old 01-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default NEF ejection issues

I used my little NEF .243 for a whitetail deer hunt in OK this last season and loved it! But, when working up a load, I found that I had to have full length re-sized brass that was really clean before it would promise not to get stuck in the chamber. I dont mind it with my .243 but what I am worried about is that if I get this 270 or 280 barrell for it that it will jam in there during a deer hunt. I heard the .243's have an inherent problem with jamming, but I dont know if this is true. Tell me what you all think and know of this. Does your NEF have a problem ejecting brass? EJ
Old 01-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NEF ejection issues

I have a buddy that has the same problem with his 243, I bet he has not shot 2 boxes of ammo thru it, Here the last year or so I have saw to many problems coming from the handi rifle, used to you never had a problem with them, I have had 3 or 4 that just would not group also the last year or so,I don't know what NE has done but they are losing my confidence in there rifles.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

My .223 did the same thing with cheap ammo. If you're reloading...that's probably not the case with you. Once I switched to Black Hills ammo, I haven't had a problem in 500 rounds.

I found that if I wiped the brass of the cheap ammo with a rag that had some gun oil on it (just a tad) they didn't stick.

I think it's a combination of brass expansion and a poor system of gripping the shell upon extraction.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Everything else is perfect on this little rifle. It shoots under an inch with the right shooter. I can get inch and a half at 100 yards. I have noticed that tarnished dirty brass has the most problems. I love the little thing, but I am contemplating not getting the 270 barrell for itbut rather getting a cheap bolt 270 instead. I dont know, I just dont want to have problems with two ejectors. EJ
Old 01-29-2006, 12:15 AM

My girlfriend had the same problem with her NEF 243 with reloaded shells, I forget exactally what her dad had to do to fix it.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol!! before i even openned the thread I thought to myself I bet its a .243......
from experiences with NEF rifles this seems to be most common in the 243 caliber barrels. the only way to completely fix it is have a gunsmith polish out the chamber, NEF rifles seem to have really rough chambers and the demensions of a 243 case dont help this any. Something else you may try is different brands of ammo different brands have different alloys in their brass and in most cases helps this 10 fold from what ive seen nickel cases and winchester cases seem to be the way to go. good luck
Old 01-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ejpaul1

Everything else is perfect on this little rifle. It shoots under an inch with the right shooter. I can get inch and a half at 100 yards. I have noticed that tarnished dirty brass has the most problems. I love the little thing, but I am contemplating not getting the 270 barrell for itbut rather getting a cheap bolt 270 instead. I dont know, I just dont want to have problems with two ejectors. EJ

How long do you polish your brass for?? you should polish rifle cartridges for atleast 4 to 6 hours (6 to 8 hours for badly tarnished cases). what kind of polishing media are you using?? I would use corn cob or a 50/50 mix of corn cob and nutshell media (for badly tarnished cases). What kind of polish are using?? for everything I use Flitz brass polish its really good for those badly tarnished casings the stuff is strong a little goes a long way. any of these things should deffinately help I hope lol good luck
Old 01-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Fork Horn

my wife 243 nef throws factory sheel fine but never put reloads in it
Old 01-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

With the gun I referred to it will shoot the first round and eject just fine but when you shoot 2 rounds rather quickly it will not eject the 2nd round, We have tried all kinds of ammo, all new, no reloads, including the nickle cases, hot loads and not so hot loads, you can get the casing out very easliy just a small tap from a cleaning rod will do it, I guess there is an expansion problem or something.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:36 AM

one of my .223H&R'shandi rifles seemed to have problems ejecting also after i cleaned it. i think it was just from oil left in the chamber.i have had good luck with it after i started drying the chamber after cleaning with a .410 mop. i know guys that carry a short piece of an old cleaning rod about 6 inches long to just drop down the barrel if you get a failure to eject. it does take much to clear the jam just a little bump from the rod. i called H&R about the problem and they said they would polish the chamber for free if i wanted to send it in. between drying thechamber after cleaning and using winchester white box or the black hills ammo the problem has been cured.

Quick Reply: NEF ejection issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.