Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Stock Re-Finish Kits??? >

Stock Re-Finish Kits???

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Stock Re-Finish Kits???

Old 10-17-2002, 09:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-17-2002, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stock Re-Finish Kits???

Sounds like you got the idea, sorry I left out lightly running a tak rag after the steel wool and before the oil. From my experience if the gun has a high gloss, it's probably a varnish finish from the factory. You may not get as high a gloss but your also not working in the factory. If you want to stain it get the gouges filled in and the rest of the stock prepared and then stain it, I myself like the look of the wood's natural color, after that you want to seal it. You can use 2 parts of mineral spirits to 1 part tung oil, this will look pretty thin, you want it that way to readily absorb into the wood. Two coats of that and give it a day or two to dry before applying the finish. A word to the wise, if it's very damp or humid wait until it dries up some. You want as little moisture in the wood as possible when you seal it. Here is a url that might help. http://riflestocks.tripod.com/seal.html
Old 10-18-2002, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

Hey thanks alot guys!! I think youve given me all the info I should need to do this! Cant wait to start on it! Maybe strip the stock down tonight!! I will post on here as I go to tell you if its going ok!? Thanks!!

Old 10-19-2002, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Well...Step 1 is complete! Stripped off the original finish last night. And did a little sanding this afternoon and now ready for the first coat of Tung oil! Bought some Formbys high gloss tung oil and some Mineral spirts. So...I should mix 2-3 parts mineral spirts to 1 part tung oil? Or just go with straight tung oil? I am going to wait till tomarrow I think and let the stock air out somemore after rinsing it down after the stripping last night.

Old 10-19-2002, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

mix 2-3 parts mineral spirits to 1 part tung oil, this will be thin and will readily absorb into the wood. After sealing the stock, give it a day or two to thoroughly dry. Check out the url I previously posted, it contains some fairly detailed procedures.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-20-2002, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Straight tung oil. If you used boiled linseed oil, you would dilute it by half with mineral spirits or turpentine.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 10-20-2002, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Ok then...straight tung oil it will be! Those who said to mix with mineral spirts Im sure have great luck that way also, but I will go straight tung oil and go that route. Thanks! I will post to say how it goes!

Old 10-20-2002, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just goes to show, you'll get no shortage of opinions or ways to do things here.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

DG: Hey quick question which may be dumb, but....You say after 4-5 coats to use 200 wet sandpaper then use it every 2 coats from there on. My question is do you then wet the sandpaper while using it or use it dry? I realize to use wet/dry sandpaper. But wondering if you actually wet the paper. If so, then do I need to let the stock dry for 24hr before the next coat? Thanks

Quick Reply: Stock Re-Finish Kits???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.