Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Over/Under thoughts. >

Over/Under thoughts.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Over/Under thoughts.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Over/Under thoughts.

One of these days I would like to get an O/U shotgun, mainly cause I like the idea and the looks of that style shotgun. I don't have much in the way of funds and can't justify spending a lot on a gun I would not be shooting a lot with.I have been checking out some of the lower priced models available in my area. Some of the ones that have caught my eye are the Kahn, Spartan and Mossburg O/U's that Big 5 sporting goods carry. The Spartan and Kahn are in the same price range ,<$500, and the Mossburg is around $600to $700.

My questions center around the design of the break open mechanism. The Spartan (made in Russia) has a pivot pin full width similar to older designed break opens.The Kahn and Mossburg (made in Turkey and apparently the same gun minus the Mossburg dress ups) has pivot points on each side but nothing tying them together. Which lock up would be stronger? Over time, which would be the strongest? Any other thoughts about these guns and which would be the better value.

My personal opinion is that the Spartan has the stonger action and would remain tighter over time but I'm use to the older designed break open guns. I don't have any experience with the newer designs.

I have shouldered all three and found I could use any of them but the Spartan sight picture was more natural for me. When I put the Spartan up with my eyes closed, then look down the barrel, all I see is the bead. When I put the other two up in the same way, I still see the rib leading to the bead but only need a slight adjustment to fix the sight picture. I'm sure I could get ued to lifting the other two slightly higher without much problem. I do like the look of the Kahn/Mossburg a little better than the Spartan and the K/M has a barrel selector built in to the safety that the Spartan does not have. The Spartan doesn't look bad, just a bit more utilitarian than the others.

So, anyone with any experience with these guns, pro or con?
Old 01-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Over/Under thoughts.

save your money and buy a Ruger Red Label

best value in it's class dollar for dollar.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:30 AM

Could you get a used one of a better brand at the same price?
Browning, beretta perhaps?
About the pivots. I dont know about strengh but to me it is a point to be able to divide the gun in two when I travel. It is easier to clean also.

I love myo/u and its what I use the most so Im all for you getting one. The feel for the gun is whats important I think. That is after all what oneis aiming with.

What about choke tubes?
Old 01-15-2006, 08:07 AM
DM

It really depends on the quality of the steel used ect.... Valmet used pivot pins, and they held up just fine, "if" the bbls were fit "properly" to begin with. The quality of steel in Valmet 412 shotguns is of VERY high quality.

I'm with the buy a "better quality" used gun crowd..

Drilling Man
Old 01-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta agree with 3Ddepession-----I think you would be much better off trying to find a "gently used" gun of higher quality that fit you well. Another point to ponder is that if you buy the less expensive one(s) and later find out you don't like something about it and want to sell/trade, you won't get that much of a deal. You're much further ahead to buy through your heart than your wallet.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Spike

don't over look the stoegars, i have beat2 for years,can't killthem ,they ain't pritty but neither am i. i do have Berettas and love them, great guns but morre$$, i only use them for clay,,cuz i,m a ugly hunter.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The idea of a used gun is not objectionable to me, I just haven't investigated it yet. A shooting partner has a red lable in 20 gauge and it looks real nice, I just can't justify the money right now (of course donations will be accepted if anyones interested).

I'm not in a hurry to get a new shotgun right now as I don't do much shotgun shooting at this time. I have been toying with the idea of getting into sporting clays, the club I belong to has shoots once a month but it always seems to be on days that I have to work.

As far as the choke tubes go, the Spartancomes with choke tubes but they are not the same as the standard Remingtons, even though it is distributed by Remington. I didn't check on the other two and their compatability with other choke tubes.

The Stoegars are one I haven't checked out. I will see if there are any dealers in this area and check them out.

Thanks for all the opinions and info so far. Have a great day.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of guys I know use the cheap khan O/Us for sporting clays. They cost about $300-400 depending if you get them on sale or not. They shoot the heck out of them and don't have any problems, the only drawback, if it really is one, is that they don't have ejectors. I'm probably going to buy one later this year to replace myBPS as my sporting clays gun, as fast as I am with a pump, an O/U will stillalwayshold an advantage. The Rugers and Browning might be better guns, but spending an extra $1000-1500 on one won't buy you any more broken birds.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:06 PM

Pony up the cash for a Ruger Red label or Winchester Select FN. Both can be had for under 1K. Check around. I love my Winchester Select Field and my son loves his Ruger Sporting.....both have all the choke tubes and will last forever. Do not buy a cheapo, save up for a gun for a lifetime! Regards, Rick.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:14 AM

You should also consider the Franchi Alcione the field model is around 900 and they are discontinuing the Alcione line so you might be able to get a great deal. I like that with the Franchi you have the option of going from 12 to 20 ga without doing any gunsmithing, and if you are into shooting clays you can also get a set of 30" ported sporting barrels. I have the Alcione with all the barrels, and for the money you cant beat them.

Quick Reply: Over/Under thoughts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.