Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best Rifle Ever Made >

Best Rifle Ever Made

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Rifle Ever Made

Old 01-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best Rifle Ever Made

1. Winchester Model 70 (pre-1964)
It was not even an original design. The Model 70 was an improvement of Winchester’s Model 54, which in turn was based on the Mauser Model 98. But upon its birth in 1936, it kindled a love affair that has never died. Winchester advertised it as “the rifleman’s rifle,” and the slogan stuck. This was the big-game rifle by which all others were measured, and it is still, in my opinion, the best factory bolt action ever made.
The gun borrowed the best features from both the Mauser 98 and the Model 54. It retained the Mauser’s massive extractor and controlled-feed system but utilized a cone-shaped breech like the Model 54’s, which guided cartridges into the chamber even if they weren’t perfectly aligned. In place of the Mauser’s slow, jarring firing-pin fall, the Model 70’s was very fast and smooth. The trigger was the best ever designed for a hunting rifle, period—a three-piece miracle of simplicity that gave an excellent pull, would never fail, and once adjusted was adjusted forever.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: naconst

m-1 rifle ,and all of browning guns helped win the war.
I agree totally. I also put in a half vote for the mauser, but the greatest gun decision is a never ending question and answer. If you just went with, for instance the mauser, because of its ingenuity and given many present models are based on its designs, then you could argue that in the colonial days, muzzleloaders were based on the key designs of another manufacturers design that was innovative, but that does not make it the greatest gun ever made. Guns are inventions built on top of overlapping designs, and just like any invention that has, hit mainstream production, its has been improved, de-railed, improved again, and sometimes slopped together with copies of any one single idea. My real thought on the greatest rifle ever made, could go to Ronnie Barretts creations, where that rifle was based on just firing the .50 BMG, a cartridge that is obviously older than the rifle, but is now used in a rifle that has changed rifle history since the first Persian Gulf War. Like I said, impossible question with somewhat limited capability of answering on a single item.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

You didn't place much of a limit on this question! No doubt the "best rifle ever made is/was a custom job, not a factory product. If you had said " 'best brand or best model' made since (date) it might be possible to give a reasonable answer. As you phrased it, it is NOT POSSIBLE to answer....... There were some beautiful rifles made in the 15th and 16th Centuries.......

(Which HENRY do you mean?? The predecessor to Winchester, or the current company??)

Ihave to agree with you dequello!
Is this question about military rifles or hunting rifles? You can't comparethe smoothnessand trigger pull of a huntingrifle with the M98. The Pre-64M70was part M98 and M54 and smoother than the M98. If you want to call the M98, strong and rugged for battle, I'll go along with that!

The M1 Garand was the best rifle ever devised for battle!
Old 01-14-2006, 11:16 PM

As to which particular Mauser, heck I don't even know how to tell 'em apart, but I've handled old and new and considering how long its been in the game and that you can find parts all over the WORLD not just your local American sportsman's store it gets my vote as well.

ORIGINAL: Ought Six

Paul Mauser was one smart fella.
^^^Him and John Browning have their own little drawing boards in heaven

Old 01-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep those 2 were the gurus. I havent been around an m98 and I have messed with one m96 swede and i thought it was extremely nice.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several nice guns and it would be hard to pick the best of all time. The 98 and pre-64 model 70 are both really nice, though one of the best sellers of all time is the Marlin 336 lever action. It is still among the top sellers after all these years. I have several of them and they are as rugged as you can get and completely dependable.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did I miss something or did he say made in the USA? I guess I would consider the Sharps in the running. The Garand and the Springfield come to mind as well.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

They all have their +'s and -'s. For hunting bolt action rifles are generally preferable, with brands like Winchester, Remington, Weatherby, Browning (my personal favorite), and that other brand, can't think of them right now...............think it starts with an S...........I suspect mossy is sponsored by them,..................it will come to me........
Old 01-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sears?? Saiga???
Old 01-18-2006, 08:28 AM

Ruger M77 in 250-3000.

My first "big game" rifle and one that started me on a lifelong love of hunting and shooting.

It has now been handed down to my sons as their first rifle and I hope it instills the same in them.

Quick Reply: Best Rifle Ever Made

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.