Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .243 for deer >

.243 for deer

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.243 for deer

Old 01-19-2006, 03:15 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: .243 for deer

I am sure alot of folks do it. It will kill em dead dead. And reliably dead. I know my first hunting partner used a 300Weatherby on little WV deer around 100lbs. We were young, and thats the gun every kid said they wanted. He since only uses it in Northern Canada and uses a typical 270 on deer.

But what amazes me is why people are trying to push the limits. I mean there was an article I believe in Guns and Ammo several months back about taking game in Africa with a 204? I just don't understand why people are going this way. I mean a 243 with 100gr bullet and you will have venision in the fridge. Why go smaller? If someone can't handle a 243's recoil, they got other issues. I guess for me, I don't want any excuses when that buck of a lifetime come around. Like my older friend this year who shot a nice with a 22-250 and a partition and lost it. Now he goes around swearing off the 22-250. He used it for years.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes. when I said 6000 I was exaggerating and I you did quote (twice) that I said "many" years ago. Which i did not.
Not the point though.
I am saying that it is possible that some people are looking towards the smaller recoiling, lighter bullet, flat shooting guns so they can get into the long range killing game without having toget beat up by the biigger caliber guns
Old 01-19-2006, 03:36 PM
bigcountry

Yea, everybodys really beatin that dead horse on the 6000 yard thing. Guys I got it the first time.

Maybe, but all the ones I know personally are usually big braggers. The older fellas I know that use em religiously, seem to constantly talk about how they only use a 22-250. They go on and on making sure everyone knows. They are affective. But no moreaffective than your typical 270 user. Maybe less, causethey pass on shoulder shots and stuff.

You said "some years ago", talk about splittin hairs. One can only assume it wasn't last year. Bud amI right abou that statement???And I reported I don't know what your talking about some years ago, or many years ago. its only been recently in the last 2 years where people started wanting WSM's and RUM's for deer. At least you can tell me what you have noticed over the last 20 years your hunting.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I am sure alot of folks do it. It will kill em dead dead. And reliably dead. I know my first hunting partner used a 300Weatherby on little WV deer around 100lbs. We were young, and thats the gun every kid said they wanted. He since only uses it in Northern Canada and uses a typical 270 on deer.

But what amazes me is why people are trying to push the limits. I mean there was an article I believe in Guns and Ammo several months back about taking game in Africa with a 204? I just don't understand why people are going this way. I mean a 243 with 100gr bullet and you will have venision in the fridge. Why go smaller? If someone can't handle a 243's recoil, they got other issues. I guess for me, I don't want any excuses when that buck of a lifetime come around. Like my older friend this year who shot a nice with a 22-250 and a partition and lost it. Now he goes around swearing off the 22-250. He used it for years.

Why do anglers like to take a 25lb bass with 10lb test line?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:55 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Why do anglers like to take a 25lb bass with 10lb test line?
Cause they were crappie fishin when that big ole bass took the minny. Well, you may be lucky enought to take 25lb bass with that fl strain, but in the north, a good old 7lb bass is a whopper.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Cause they were crappie fishin when that big ole bass took the minny. Well, you may be lucky enought to take 25lb bass with that fl strain, but in the north, a good old 7lb bass is a whopper.

I'll match them!

Old 01-19-2006, 04:01 PM
bigcountry

Boy I would move to Fl just for the fishin if it wasnt' for that urban renewal every other year around the August timefrme. Nice fish man.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Boy I would move to Fl just for the fishin if it wasnt' for that urban renewal every other year around the August timefrme. Nice fish man.

I know I'm hi-jacking thisthread, sorry guys!

My area is starting tobe all developed![:@]
Old 01-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Delete
Old 01-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're right BC. I said some because I had no idea when the WSM RUM thing caught on . Like I said I am new to this, last year actually, and all I know is it was before then.
I don't have an extensive collection of guns in fact it's fairly puny. 22lr, 30-30, 243,270 a muzzy and a shot gun.
When I first started reading about this sport trying to get into it, I read magazines. I came away thinking I needed a 300 WM or 7mm mag. Rarely were there articles about deer hunting with a 30-30. Oh, it might have been mentioned as an "old warhorse" or something like that but certainly not what was "necessary" in the real hunting world.
Then I found this site. It was guys like you, Reb, Zrex, and others that made me realize that as long as I wasn't hunting brown bear that the above mentioned collection was a very good start.
Will I one own a 300 or 7mm one day? Heck yes. You just can't have enough guns you know.

Quick Reply: .243 for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.