Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Thumbhole stock >

Thumbhole stock

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thumbhole stock

Old 01-15-2006, 01:21 PM

Default RE: Thumbhole stock

You're not letting your "thumb" do the work here. A thumbhole stock acts as a modified pistol grip that splits up the recoil duties between the hand and the shoulder. I suppose you could break your thumb or any other finger for that matter if you just stuck that digit in the hole and pulled the trigger with no other support. If there's a will there's a way!
Old 01-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes longrifle, just like that picture of the Sterling you posted. That's what I'm looking for. I'm not worried about breaking my thumb or anything - where'd that come from? (There's a reason recoil pads are on the end of the stock and not the grip! LOL)

I'm going to pull my stock off and see how it's constructed. Maybe I can make one. The one little thing I'm kinda concerned about though is mine is the "lamenated camo" and I like the way it looks. I know that I couldn't duplicate that or even come close, but maybe Boyds can. I'll give them a call after I look into things.

This is my slug gun.

Thanks for the lead long!
Old 01-15-2006, 08:29 PM

No problem Matt. That came from Boyd's, and I posted the link in that post. They say if you send them your stock, they can make it. You will have to do the final fitting, and finishing. And I think the cost is like $88 for the butt end, but it might be a little more for a custom job. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:23 PM

longrifle...... after seeing the picture you posted i do remember seeing the thumbhole for pumps and auto loaders. man i just can't remember anything any more, oh well. a year or two back i boughta boyd thumbholefor a rem 700. must have been when i seen them. boy i don't know, but i still think it would be tough to use on a single shot h&r.