Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage or Marlin? >

Savage or Marlin?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage or Marlin?

Old 01-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Savage or Marlin?

I'm going to buy a .17 HMR very soon. I've been told to stay away from the Rugers. The Marlin looks very similar to the Savage although it has a plastic trigger that I don't care for. I thinkI'm leaning towards the Savage with the synthetic stock and SS bull barrel. Anyone have any advice or experience they would be willingto share? Thank you in advance.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Savage or Marlin?

I dont know why you should stay away from the ruger. It shoots as good as any on the market. The savage is a good shooter too.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm wanting to buy this one, still undecided!

Old 01-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

The fellow at the gun shop told me that they had not had goodluck with the Ruger 17 shooting as tight a group. Heck he had a Ruger to sell and was waiting for a shipment of Savages. I have yet to shoot a 17 so I cannot speak with ant experience.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:20 PM

No experience but I do have advice.

Go with the savage since you are already leaning that way. From what I hear Rugers either shoot fabulously or not at all its luck of the draw, but savages are famed for being out-of-the-box very very few exections tack-drivers. The only complaint I've heard since the new accutriggers come out (which I have experienced and it is indeed a good one...nothing a visit to the gunsmith can't do for the next rifle) is the soft synthetic stocks. For most hunters this isn't an issue. The other complaint (aesthetics) isn't really an issue for most hunters either considering what they paid for an accurate reliable gun.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Rebel that is a beauty.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the Savage 93R17 FVSS and found this rifle was not balance very well. Because of the bull barrel and the light stock this rifle was heavy towards the front. Also the trigger guard is molded in with the stock all as one piece. Take a look at the Savage model 93R17 BVSS with the laminated stock. This model may be better balanced and I think the trigger guard is metal. Just something to look for when handling the Savage rifles...
Old 01-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Trailer. Trailer you said ' had ' . Did you get rid of it and if you did what did you replace it with?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you noticed the word had....Well I wasn’t getting the accuracy I was hoping for and it could have been just my particular rifle so I didn’t want to mention anything but I would rather reload my own bullets and ended up going for a 222 Rem. center fire. I also wanted something for longer distance then the .17 and cheap to shoot... and no I didn’t want a 223... Good luck...
Old 01-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Savage 17 HMR an I love it! I totally suggest you go for the Savage. It shootsmore accurate as any gun on the market. Mine will hit dead center at 300 yards and I dont even know why you would need to shoot that far.

Quick Reply: Savage or Marlin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.