Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which gun safe? >

Which gun safe?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which gun safe?

Old 01-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Which gun safe?

Glad your puttin it in your basement, common way for thieves to handle safes now are throw a chain through your living room window, wrap safe, hook other end to 4'wd, drag safe out through window and down the road, then have a couple buddies help load it

Seen it more than once!

I think safes are all about the same quality, just who gives ya the best deal.
Sorry don't agree!

Old 01-04-2006, 07:40 AM

Power...I think almost any safe would be better than NOsafe. If it not a heavy weight, bolt it down. It's better than the old traditional glass door gun cabinet or stickingyour gunsunder the bed. The debate over who makes the best one will go on forever. Buy the biggest/best one you can afford and it will serve you better than none. Most of us can't afford a safe that can't be professionally broke into. Keep the non-professionals from getting your valuables in the 15 minute house raid.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner
Glad your puttin it in your basement, common way for thieves to handle safes now are throw a chain through your living room window, wrap safe, hook other end to 4'wd, drag safe out through window and down the road, then have a couple buddies help load it
RR
Holy Crap! Is that really the way they do it? Jeez. I'd be so livid if that happened. That's one reason I don't want to have it in my garage but the connected basement instead. I live in a split level with 1/2 the basement under ground (just windows 1/2 way up) so it'd be pretty hard for them to use this technique I think.

What other ways do they do it? I want to deter them the best way I can (great idea loading lead shot in the bottom to make it heavier).
Old 01-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Power

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner
RR
Holy Crap! Is that really the way they do it? Jeez. I'd be so livid if that happened. That's one reason I don't want to have it in my garage but the connected basement instead. I live in a split level with 1/2 the basement under ground (just windows 1/2 way up) so it'd be pretty hard for them to use this technique I think.

What other ways do they do it? I want to deter them the best way I can (great idea loading lead shot in the bottom to make it heavier).

Power, it's not to good of an ideato discuss those Techniques on a public forum!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: feddoc

Some safes have a series of re-lockers (designed to force the locking lugs into position) in them to prevent the rookie from taking your stuff via the drill or the torch.
With a torch, you can get into any safe. Relockers or no relockers.
The only thing that will discourage a thief is if the safe is armed with Tear Gas, which you can add to your safe if you wanted it!

My safe had a faulty latching mechanism. Took a safe company employee almost 4 hours to get it open...which made me feel really secure about some common thief.
That's because he was a Technician and had to do it in aprofessional manner.
Yea, I know that many torches will cut into a safe. Most folks who thieve aren't going to be carrying a torch with them.

Yea, I know he was a tech...that's why I hired him. With what he told me and what the maker told me I am still confident the average joe couldn't do the job of coring out the lock.

All I care about is the common thief...even then he/they would have to get past a re-enforced concrete wall and roof and a vault door....and find the basement door.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Feddoc, yes your statements are correct. I'm going to give some good advice to most guy's on the forum: Make sure the safe man you call, has been in the business for a long time andis licensed and bonded. Most pepole in the big cities don't realize that there are locksmith's and safe tech's that will sell information and combination's where they have witnessed in one's safe the content's of there of!
Old 01-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel HogPower, it's not to good of an ideato discuss those Techniques on a public forum!
Good point!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:58 PM

Okay, the wife has been wanting me to get a safe as well. My question is if all of your weapons are in the safe what do you do for self defense? Do you leave the shotty or pistol by the bed?
Old 01-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought one of those pistol safe you mount to your headboard and use your fingers to punch in a code to open. Just a cheapy pictol in there so if it burns up in a fire it is ok. That way kids can't get to it but it's safe and convenient.