HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   BSA scopes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/126802-bsa-scopes.html)

stickin8s 12-29-2005 12:15 PM

BSA scopes

Has any one ever used BSA scopes? I am thinking about buying a
6x24x44. I would like any info. on whether they are good scopes and whether they will hold there zero on low recoil rifles such as a 243 win.

frizzellr 12-29-2005 01:05 PM

RE: BSA scopes

On this forum unless you are asking about a Leupold, Nikon or Zeiss you will probably end up with poor reviews. I have limited experience with BSA, but so far so good. I would think it would be fine on a low recioling rifle.

mounting man 12-29-2005 01:40 PM

I have 1 or 2 and they hold zero just fine! They are just a little less bright than my others.
At max power,they are hard to see through,for me anyways?
If it is all you can afford,as i have been in that boat,make due with what you can get!!!!!!!!

bigiron 12-29-2005 02:03 PM

I have one on my 22 tried puting one on my nef 223 but like mentioned above by m man the high powers were very fuzzy it was the platinum 6 to 24

Paul L Mohr 12-29-2005 04:09 PM

It depends on the model and price point you pick. A cheap scope is a cheap scope, I don't care who's name is on it. If you are getting a 24 power scope for 100 bucks you are probably not going to be very impresssed. A good scope of that power is going to cost around $300 or more. They had to cut corners somewhere to get that price. And the two biggest are Optics quality and Quality Control.

I have probably owned 5 BSA's I think. All of them functioned just fine on guns from .22's to a .50 cal inline and a 12 ga shooting slugs and turkey loads. The optics on some of the cheaper ones was not too great. I had a contender that was 4-16x50 and it worked ok, but at 16 power at 100 yards it wasn't very clear. And it fogged up during crappy weather. However the Catseye and Panther scopes are pretty nice, comparable to a simmons 44 mag or aetec, but they cost more too.

If you are looking for a 20+ power scope for a centerfire I would look at scopes in the 200 or above price range. I have an Alaskan Guide scope from cabela's and really like it alot, but it was almost $400 (6.5-20x44 mildot).

My advice would be if you have a limited budget get the best scope you can get for that kind of money. You may have to alter your selections though. A lower power hunting scope without all the cool features for the same money will be a much better scope. Let's say you are looking at two different scopes. One is a 6-24x50 scope with an adjustable objective for around 150 bucks. The other is a 3-9 or 10x40 hunting scope without the adjustable objective for say $200. The $200 hunting scope is going to blow the other one out of the water in quality. And even though it will have less overall magnification it will look much better because of the better optics and actually be more usable.

Next time you get the chance look at some cheaper high powered scopes and then compare them to a better quality scope. In some cases the difference will be like looking thru old plexi glass and a brand new glass window. And at longer ranges this is even magnified.

That's my opinion any way.

Paul

Moose_Maximus 12-29-2005 07:40 PM

I've got an old 3-12x50 BSA scope that came with a used rifle I bought, and I swear, that scope tube isn't straight. Optics look okay, and it seems to change magnification all right, but I took it off the rifle and it's now a big paperweight.

stickin8s, if you want a cheap way to get introduced to BSA scopes, I'll send you the one I've got for the price of postage.

whiskeysnoot 12-29-2005 08:11 PM

Ibought the 6x24x50 Contender that came with a free Caldwell bipod. I now have an adequate bipod and a scope collecting dust on my reloading table. You absolutely get what you pay for. Blurry @ higher magnifications,wandering zero, and terrible in low light. This last one is what really did it for me. If you plan on trying to hunt early morning or late evening, forget it. Could only recommend it for aplinkinggun that you didn't want to spend too much on or get too serious with.

ncpreacherboy1 12-30-2005 06:01 AM

I had a 6-24x50 catseye on my m70 300 win mag. always held the zero great. I have no complaints about BSA.