Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .204 Ruger for small varmints >

.204 Ruger for small varmints

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.204 Ruger for small varmints

Old 12-30-2005, 01:10 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: .204 Ruger for small varmints

I don't know, I passed it by my boss, who is the VP of engineeing and big physic guy and he smiled and said maybe we found a way to break the law of physics. But he's a big smartbutt. He is right however that wind is constant, and the contribution to acceleration should be negible. Basciallly what I am saying is the bullet just wants to move tho where their is equallibrium of pressure on both sides.

Wait, think I figure it out. You may be right. The bullet will move with the wind, but there has to be some speed up or slow down (acceleration) component and a bigger bullet will take longer to equalize its pressure on both sides?? Make sense. Ok, you convinced me Roskoe.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:56 PM

Years ago, the most accurate bullets you could buy were either .224s or .308s. Today, I dont that is still true. Considering the extreme competition the bullet companies are in, they all try to make the very best varmint bullets they can. Using cheaper components is really not a way to achieve the best accuracy, even in a .223. Now, it is true you can get very good military brass and save some money there. However, the cost of brass is really not that big a factor unless your losing it by using an auto loader. Decent bullets for the .204 and the .223 are probably similar in price. The powder charges will probably be similar. The primers will be the same. Basically, I think the cost of reloading GOOD ammuntion will be about equal between the .204 and the .223.

I have yet to meet a rifle that would not shoot better with custom tailored ammunition.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:57 PM

Now I'm not so sure myself. A little comparison at the range one breezy day in 1998 got me to doubting what I had understood for 25 years was a foundation of ballistics. I called Sierra ballistics and the tech indicated bullet weight was an "independent" of the theory - cited the example of the 50 BMG vs. the 300 Wby. He also made a comparion of two bullets with the exact same shape - one made of aluminum and one made of tungsten. BC and MV are the same. Which one is less affected by wind? The heavier one of course. Made sense to me at the time. Now I'm starting to wonder . . . . may call Sierra again and get a second opinion.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:02 PM

BC and MV are the same. Which one is less affected by wind? The heavier one of course. Made sense to me at the time. Now I'm starting to wonder . . . . may call Sierra again and get a second opinion.

Now think about what you just wrote. Simple laws of physics show us that it is easier to move a lighter object than a heavy one (inertia). If the wind is consistant and is applying (for the sake of argument) 1 pound of force on two bullets of differing weights...which will it move the furthest? Obviously....the lighter one.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:09 PM
bigcountry

ought six, that only applies if you have acceleration like gravity, wind is not acceleration, its a constant velocity.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:02 AM

JUST GET THE .204! it's more accurate then .223 burns less powder than 22/250. and moves downrange faster, less time in the air = less wind drift!
Old 12-31-2005, 03:02 PM

I was wondering "browning.204" is there a little bias on your part or are you just giving an opinion
Old 12-31-2005, 05:27 PM
bigcountry

I was cleaning out my 204 last night with my new 17 cal tipton rod. The one thing that bothers me if there is no way to keep from rubbing the throat with this small rod. It bends it flex's. I am sure a 22 rod woudl too. I have an encore, so I can't use a bore guide. Oh well, well see.