Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .204 Ruger for small varmints >

.204 Ruger for small varmints

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.204 Ruger for small varmints

Old 12-29-2005, 06:34 AM

Default .204 Ruger for small varmints

Was thinking of adding a 204 ruger to my collection for small game like woodchucks small varmints and the occasiional coyote that wonders by (not a specialty for the yots)

Does anyone have any experience with this round...i know the larger rounds like 22-250 or 223 would be better for coyotes but i was looking for a round with less noise

Is the 204 quieter and would it be worth getting or should i opt for the 223 (i would be doing some range shooting fairly ofter) if the price was cheaper.

Thanks

Old 12-29-2005, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .204 Ruger for small varmints

About the only feature of the .22 calibers versus the .204 is that they .22's are somewhat better bucking the wind. However, the .204 has proven extremely accurate and at the velocities it achieves, it is very destructive, so it will definitely take care of all the critters you plan on using it for, including coyotes.

It is not quieter than the .223, but perhaps a bit less noisy than the .22/250 or .220 Swift. Of course, at the present time it is cheaper to shoot the .223, due to the availability of military ammo and components. I suspect that this situation will remain the way it is today.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:32 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

About the only feature of the .22 calibers versus the .204 is that they .22's are somewhat better bucking the wind. However, the .204 has proven extremely accurate and at the velocities it achieves, it is very destructive, so it will definitely take care of all the critters you plan on using it for, including coyotes.

It is not quieter than the .223, but perhaps a bit less noisy than the .22/250 or .220 Swift. Of course, at the present time it is cheaper to shoot the .223, due to the availability of military ammo and components. I suspect that this situation will remain the way it is today.
I just put together a good lookin encore in 204. Going to shoot this weekend.

Eld, how is the 22-250 better at wind drift? Not starting anything, just trying to learn something. The Hornady bullets they load have almost the same BC as the 22-250 in 55gr bullets. They launch almos the same. Only thing that affects wind drift is BC and launch velocity. Wieght has nothing to do with it at all.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Eld, how is the 22-250 better at wind drift? Not starting anything, just trying to learn something. The Hornady bullets they load have almost the same BC as the 22-250 in 55gr bullets. They launch almos the same. Only thing that affects wind drift is BC and launch velocity. Wieght has nothing to do with it at all.
Well, you are right, of course, if bullets of like B.C. were launched at the same velocity.

I guess I was thinking in terms of the heavier .22 bullets, such as 60-70 grain weight slugs which are now available. But of course, such bullets require a faster twist than the 1/14" which is now pretty much standard for the .22/250.....
Old 12-29-2005, 07:47 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Well, you are right, of course, if bullets of like B.C. were launched at the same velocity.

I guess I was thinking in terms of the heavier .22 bullets, such as 60-70 grain weight slugs which are now available. But of course, such bullets require a faster twist than the 1/14" which is now pretty much standard for the .22/250.....
Well, I went back and forth on which to buy. And wieghted in the 22-250 ability to handle heavier bullets. But was intriged by the 204's supposal barrel life.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:33 PM

BC - one of the central principles of ballistics is that a bullet of a certain ballistic coefficient, launched at a certain velocity, will maintain the same trajectory and time of flight out to any distant target - regardless of bullet weight. Bullet weight does, however, affect the amount of wind drift.

For instance; the 50 gr. Sierra .224 spitzer and the 150 gr. Sierra .270 RN both have a ballistic coefficient of about .250. The wind drift at 500 yards is 25% more with the lighter bullet. It only gets worse as the distance increases.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the replies and on the issue of the 223 having cheaper ammo i was wondering whether this type of ammo is at all accurate or reliable if it is so cheap. What would be the sense of buying an accurate rifle to be able to shoot cheap as dirt ammunition that was unreliable so that you cannot get good groups or get a lot of fliers???

Just curious. Otherwise is the ammo about the same for the run of the mill 204 and 223???
Old 12-29-2005, 03:59 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

BC - one of the central principles of ballistics is that a bullet of a certain ballistic coefficient, launched at a certain velocity, will maintain the same trajectory and time of flight out to any distant target - regardless of bullet weight. Bullet weight does, however, affect the amount of wind drift.

For instance; the 50 gr. Sierra .224 spitzer and the 150 gr. Sierra .270 RN both have a ballistic coefficient of about .250. The wind drift at 500 yards is 25% more with the lighter bullet. It only gets worse as the distance increases.
But thats impossible. Because wind is not like gravity. It is a constant flow or you can think of a vector, not acceleration. By thinking of your statics and dynamics, the surface area will be larger for a larger bullet. My calculators say different. I could be wrong. I will admit.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:29 PM

I, too,thought for years that wind drift would be same as well as trajectory and time of flight. When I had some field experience about five years ago that put the theory in doubt, I talked to the folks at Sierra ballistics. The example they gave was the .50 BMG vs. the .300 Wby loaded with heavy VLD bullets. Trajectory and time of flight is very comparable - long range wind drift for the .50 BMG is about half. My Exbal program, however, shows the same wind drift for any bullet weight at any distance - as long as the muzzle velocity and B.C. doesn't change. Go figure . . . .
Old 12-30-2005, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the lesson in BC guys and winddrift. BUT does anyone have experience with the cheaper 223 ammo or are most guys reloading and due to the amount of supply of the 223 around it is cheaper to reload and by reloading you get better quality control???

Thnks

Quick Reply: .204 Ruger for small varmints

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.