Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Walmart guns >

Walmart guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Walmart guns

Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 PM

Default RE: Walmart guns

This question comes up here, what, about every two weeks?

It will make you wonder why walmart is so much cheaper than dealers.
Doesn't make me wonder at all. When you buy 80 gazillion of a manufactured good, you get it cheaper than the guy who buys 5. No mystery, no conspiracy, simple economics.
I don't buy guns at WalMart.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: xeniabuck

Your prolly right rebel, but I was just wondering what everybody thought. Main reason I wont buy one from walmart is cause nobody their knows anything about guns.

Now that's a FACT!
Old 12-29-2005, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

and honestly.. if you go to walmart.com you can print off the page for say, ANY remington that Remington makes... (cept maybe "special" runs and custom shop guns and such)... take it to any wally world and they'll order the gun for you... problem with that "i believe" is that you order it you bought it... unlike being able to fondle the gun at your local gunshop... i've never bought a gun from wally world, just so ya all know... but i looked into it thoroughly when i was looking for a donor 700 for a custom rifle i was built... I ended up with a 700 SPS from my local shop since wally world didn't have it in their inventory system yet and couldn't order it... had i waited for them i would have saved about 50 bucks but big whoop...

i don't shop there cept for groceries really... Food is foood by name brand or not... but the other stuff they carry, quality wise is pretty chintsy... and the automotive dept has gone severely down hill for variety and the sporting goods depts pretty much just blow... but when you can grocery shop and save an average of 50+ bucks each trip, without coupons, when you are spending 150 to 200 it is well worth it...
Old 12-29-2005, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

"I've always heard the guns at Walmart are made cheaper."

Crap! Hasn't this one been laid to rest yet? Walmart, as the world's largest retailer, can purchase in quantities undreamed of by any other company. They therefore get the benefit of vast volume purchasing, and pass some of this savings on to their customers. The guns they sell have the same warranty as the same brands sold by anyone else.

I don't buy guns from Walmart because they don't have anything I want! I generally buy from online auction sites or dealers' used gun racks, because the best guns available today are the ones made in the 1960's or earlier that have been discontinued due to production costs! Pre-64 Winchesters, old F.N. Brownings, Mannlicher-Schoenauers, M99 Savages, 4-screw S&W's, J.P. Sauer & other German shotguns & double rifles, etc., etc.!!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:33 AM

ORIGINAL: xeniabuck

Main reason I wont buy one from walmart is cause nobody their knows anything about guns.
Using that logic you most likely won't buy a toaster, shirt, pair of pants, or computer desk from them either. If you go to Wal-mart or any of the "Marts" looking for knowledge you get what you deserve I guess.

Here in northern Maine, Wal-mart has greatly helped those of us buying firearms. For years and years we had few options other than small local shops that basically had us by the short hairs. Their knowledge and customer service wasn't that great and you'd pay a premium on everything. That is unless you wanted to drive a couple of hundred miles to central or southern Maine.

Today, the shops that are still around (and a majority are) have decent prices, much better customer service, and a better variety of "stuff." Competition and a little hurt opened some eyes and changed some attitudes.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Umm I buy guns from Wally world. Not only do i get there low prices I also get 10% off b/c my wife works there.[:'(]
Old 12-29-2005, 09:52 AM

When was the last time you went to buy a gun, not knowing what you wanted or any of the basic info on the gun you were looking for?
Who cares if the person behind the counter is ig-nert about firearms? I have ran into as many mo-rons at BassPro and mom and pop guns stores as anywhere else. As long as they can ring up my credit card or take my check, I really don't care.
Do I shop exclusively at Walmart, no. But, when I decide I need, or just want, a particular shotgun or rifle, I do include them in my shopping options. I also look at the middle sized stores and the Mom and Pop shops. My decision isbased on price and how close they come to my specifications. Where I live, there are a couple of places that sell firearms for as little or almost so as walmart. Actually, of the last 3 guns I have bought, their prices have been better. There is still two local places though, that charge AT LEAST 30% more. They whine and say they aren't making any money and how much nicer and smarter they are, but they are running themselves out of business. If the other small gun shops and sporting goods shops can compete w/ walmart, why can't they?
Really, when I decide to buy a gun, I know exactly what I am looking for, barrel length, caliber, action, .... everything.
So, what exactly do you get for that 30 percent markup at some of yourlocal stores? You've all been to one of these places, they charge 25 or 30 percent more than Walmart, BassPro or any other reputable place (not just for guns, butammo, clothes, everything)and then mealy mouth about how unfair it is that they get undercut and how much more they offer and you get with the prices. Best I have seen is you get a free bore sighting or something similar. Big whupti do.
If the gun is defective, what happens, they ship it back to the manufacturer just like you would w/ walmart.
Let the shopper beware, walmart is just one more tool in today's economy to get more bang for your buck (in this case, literally).
R
Hank
Old 12-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Spike

I'll buy a gun from Wal Mart. I used to have a guy who said go get Wal Mart's price and I'll beat it. Unfortunately he got caught poaching andwent out of business. Concerning the employees not knowing anything about the guns, think about it. What are they getting paid? Probably not a whole lot or what they deserve for putting up with all the people they have to put up with. Every gun I've bought I've researched, read about, considered other brands,looked at, held, shot, and then bought. You can go to Wal Mart and ask for the catalog for their guns and it shows the price right in there.I would think you would know what you need to know about guns before you purchase. I wouldn't go to Wal Mart looking for advice. I go there when I know what I want and point to it in the catalog and tell the teenager behind the counter 'That's it, get it. Call me when it's in'.I save some $ and get exactly what I want, and everyone is happy. Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Just wish my local dealer never got caught poaching!
Old 12-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

a 7mm weatherby is the same at Wal-Mart as it is a Dick's or Gander Mt. i know people who bought guns at wal-fart and hunted , target what ever. never a problem. i would get a gun a wal-fart any day.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:15 PM

Walmart can pursuade manufactures to make a less expensive line for their stores like the Weatherby Vanguard or the Leupold Rifleman scope but it does not mean a remington 700 at walmart is any different then a remington 700 from cabelas.

Quick Reply: Walmart guns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.