Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need help building my slug gun >

Need help building my slug gun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need help building my slug gun

Old 12-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Spike

Default Need help building my slug gun

I have a Remington 1187 Premier that I'd like to use as a slug gun and Im really at a loss a to what type barrel, smooth bore with or without rem choke or rifled barrel and make ( should I stick with remington or get anoth brand barrel), to purchase along with your top 2 slug ammo recommendations for said setup. I'd couldnt see myself taking a shot past 100 yards with it, with the vast majority being less than 75yards at most. The only reason I'm leaning towards a smooth bore w rem choke is in case I needed to make a fast follow up shot.........HELP ME
Old 12-22-2005, 10:39 PM

Default RE: Need help building my slug gun

I do not understand why a smooth bore allows for a faster follow up shot than a rifled barrel. If all you shots are under 75 yards a smooth bore will be just fine, but what happens when the buck of a lifetime is 125 yards away. Rifled barrels are worthless inless you use saboted slugs wich are very expensive. So if you have the extra money to spend on the sabots I would buy the rifled barrel.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:53 PM

Really, my H&R ultra shoots rifled slug great. What do you think they used in rifled barrels before sabots came out? Rifled barrels were originally made to increase the accuracy and range of of the current foster type slugs.

They work fine, you just need to clean them because they lead up.

I would get a hastings fully rifled cantilever barrel and a good shotgun scope.

Paul
Old 12-23-2005, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr
Rifled barrels were originally made to increase the accuracy and range of of the current foster type slugs.

They work fine, you just need to clean them because they lead up.

I would get a hastings fully rifled cantilever barrel and a good shotgun scope.

Paul

I dont know where you heard this butNO. foster slug will gum up rifle barrels . I will agree that a hasting barrel is the best but use a sabot slug. when the first rifle barrel cameout it was match to a company the made the B.R.I. sabot slug federal bough out and change the name of the slug.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would buy the factory remington cantilever barrel. Put a quality low magnification scope on it and you're good to go to 100 yds no problem with today's new slug offerings.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:00 PM

Well there are thousands of people using them in rifled barrels and have been for many years, Brenneke even makes a slug just for it.

Yes they foul the barrel but all you have to do is clean it. It does not ruin it like many believe. Not different than shooting a lead conical out of a ML.

Slug gun history

Another

And another

Saboted slugs are pretty new to the scene really.

Paul
Old 12-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Dominant Buck

In 1823, the first shell guns were invented by the French General Henri-Joseph<br> ... For guns they were latterly fitted with a wooden disc called a sabot, ...
http:/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_(projectile)

When The Sabot Fits, Wear It (say-bow)......... Means shoe in French.
In 1985, when Del Ramsey invented the modern muzzleloading sabot the velocity and windage limitations attributed to conical projectiles in muzzleloading rifles vanished, and the need to externally lubricate them went down the drain with the last Pine-Sol scented batch of "Bore Butter."
Old 12-23-2005, 01:49 PM

I'd get a cantilever slug barrel and a low power scope like maybe a 2.5x or a red dot and shoot sabot. In my expereince they transfer much more energy than smooth bore slugs. As far as fast follow up shots go I don't think there should be a difference at all. For Sabot loads I'd look at the remington Core-Lokt and and the Winchester Partition Gold, and jsut see what patterns best in your gun.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:49 PM

Oh, don't take what I said wrong, I think some of the newer sabots are much better as well in performance. I was just saying that if you didn't have the money to spend 3 dollar a box rifled slugs will work. My gun shoots them just fine as far as accuracy goes, until the barrel fouls out.

The sabots are for sure more user friendly to shoot, and cleaning is a breeze.

Paul
Old 12-24-2005, 06:41 AM
Spike

Well I purchased a Remingtom cantilevered rifled slug barrel and got some Buckhammers and got it 0ed in @ 100 yds after only 3 shots, is there any need to shoot any more rounds?

Quick Reply: Need help building my slug gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.